Sr Graphics Engineer, Spry Fox
- Full Time
- $50K - $200K
Remote Job Description
Spry Fox is looking for a Senior Graphics Engineer to help us build an original, non-violent MMO.
You will lead our effort to deliver a smooth experience of our stylized, cozy world on mobile and desktop platforms. You'll be hands-on profiling and optimizing materials and scene organization, structuring our project for GPU, CPU, and memory scalability across our target platforms, and exploring rendering techniques to amplify our game’s tone (coziness, whimsy, moments of awe). You'll be our go-to person for rendering optimization and bringing out the best in our art team’s work. Together with the rest of the engineering team, you’ll establish technical constraints, asset standards, and asset pipeline additions needed to deliver a consistent player experience across platforms. You'll work closely with the art team to explore and balance tradeoffs between performance characteristics and our visual target. We're a small team making a big game so you'll have ample opportunity to contribute to any other aspect of the project that sparks your interest.
- You've been responsible for GPU and CPU performance for a 3D Unreal title that shipped on low-end devices (e.g. iOS, Android).
- Comfortable doing self-directed investigations to track down potential bottlenecks in our performance and explore opportunities to improve the look of our game.
- Strong communication skills that will help you succeed in a remote team environment.
- Well-developed empathy that helps you connect with your peers across disciplines, relate to our customers, and display mature conflict resolution.
- Strong C++ programming and debugging skills.
- An interest in exploring stylized art and developing novel techniques to deliver on our visual target (and beyond).
- Experience with, or interest in, any other part of the many pieces necessary to make an ambitious MMO.
- Experience with graphics debuggers (e.g. RenderDoc, Xcode, PIX, Nsight) to identify bottlenecks.
- You’ve extended Unreal to achieve project-specific goals.
- Experience with, or interest in, automated performance testing.
What are we offering?
- 40 hours a week: we treat crunch like the result of serious mistakes that we’ve made, not a natural and inevitable part of the development process.
- Interesting, original work as part of a small, supportive, and friendly team full of thoughtful people who care about each other and care about our impact on our players’ lives.
- Work from home – no commute!
- Great benefits (we’re part of Netflix now – big company benefits are pretty nice.)
- The opportunity to work on a game unlike anything that has ever been made before, with, among other things, meaningful goals to improve people’s lives and reduce toxicity and loneliness in the world. We take this very seriously.
What’s it like working for Spry Fox?
We strive to be a company that is a pleasure to work for. We hope to be an important but not dominating part of your life. We want you to have friends, family, hobbies, and a life outside of work. We want you to love your colleagues and know that they support you 100%. We want you to be proud of what you do and how you do it.
We make highly original games. Invention is part of our DNA. You’ll be working on designs that often don’t fit in a comfy genre box.
We’re fully remote, and have always (12+ years) been fully remote, which means you have the flexibility to work your 40 hours a week from wherever you like, and in whatever configuration you’d like. As long as you have an overlap with your team almost every day, let people know what you’re up to, and don’t leave the rest of us hanging, almost anything goes.
We currently have Foxes in Europe, South Africa, South America, Canada, and the USA. We have a retreat once a year to come together, bond, discuss the long-term future of projects and the company, and stay up way too late chatting around campfires. We try to be online from 10am to 2pm PST in order to ensure that we have enough overlapping work hours with each other, and otherwise, our schedules are flexible and fully under our individual control!
We have lives outside of work. Lots of us have children. Different Foxes enjoy playing music, reading books, storytelling RPGs, and traveling.
Spry Fox recognizes crunch is a negative and counter-productive practice in our industry. We consider more than a couple of weeks of crunch in a year to be a serious failure of management — something to be learned from and avoided in the future. And we have never crunched for more than six continuous weeks in the eleven year history of our studio (a blemish consigned to our distant past, hopefully forever.
Last but not least, we’re a part of Netflix now. This means that we can do what we love doing with much more support, and without having to worry about how to monetize our games at all. We’re still focused on making thoughtful, original games, more than ever really. :)
At Netflix, we carefully consider a wide range of compensation factors to determine your personal top of market. We rely on market indicators to determine compensation and consider your specific job, skills, and experience to get it right. These considerations can cause your compensation to vary and will also be dependent on your location.
The overall market range for roles in this area of Netflix is typically $50,000 - $250,000