Clipboard Health is looking for an enthusiastic Payroll Operations Manager with at least 5 years of payroll experience, preferably at a fast-growing startup. If you describe yourself as a people-centric, self-starting, number wizard with a strong sense of ownership and initiative - then this may be the role for you!
The Payroll Operations Manager will be responsible for processing all payroll for both US-based and International-based teams, as well as preparing and maintaining all payroll records. The Payroll Operations Manager will also be expected to run regular reporting and analysis of payroll trends, and work closely with our external accountants to ensure 100% accuracy on all payroll figures. This individual will also be responsible for assisting in-state business registration and updating payroll tax information per state. You will be responsible for overseeing the payroll team, including the day-to-day management of the team, and the growth of the team as the company scales. You will be the resident expert on all things payroll for our global and diverse team.
- Processing 2 separate payroll runs on both a weekly and semi-monthly pay schedule
- Computing, reviewing, and paying bonuses on both a monthly and quarterly schedule
- Providing both weekly and monthly payroll reports to the Director of People Operations and finance team
- Completing regular audits to ensure accuracy of payroll records
- Reviewing payroll data, including trends, and providing analysis monthly to the Director of People Operations
- Addressing all payroll questions, concerns, or disputes directly with team members
- Completing a regular review of payroll processes, and continuing to improve and evolve payroll processes, policies, and procedures
- Completing other employee-related reporting such as headcount, turnover, and retention
- Running the recruiting and hiring process for additional payroll team members as needed
- Managing the day to day work of all other individuals on the payroll team
- Contributing to quarterly Human Resources objectives and key results
- Assisting on various HR-related projects
- Driving solutions that improve not only our payroll systems but the overall team member experience
- Running the recruiting and hiring process for future payroll positions as the payroll team's needs expand
What Success Looks Like:
3 months in: You are not just owning all payroll runs, but payroll runs are consistently on time, with no errors. You have built out the necessary payroll reports in all systems so that you can not only audit the accuracy of your own work, but anyone in the organization who needs any information related to actual or estimated payroll expenses can have that information within a few minutes. You are reporting on all payroll information, including payroll costs, overall headcount and headcount by department, bonuses, and commissions, and any other additional costs related to personnel on a weekly and monthly basis.
6 months in: You are the resident payroll expert, have a deep understanding of how headcount and payroll are allocated per team, and can predict upcoming changes to payroll costs. You track all paid and upcoming bonus/commission payments and work with department heads to ensure proper computation of all bonuses/commissions. Current payroll processing and systems are measurably better than when you took over, and we have a precise understanding of our monthly payroll spending. You have hired at least one additional person to assist with payroll prep and processing, and are in the process of hiring at least one other person to assist with reporting and data integrity. All changes to pay internally are run through and approved by you before any formal changes are made.
Need to Have:
- At least 5 years of hands-on, payroll processing experience
- At least 3 years of experience managing a team of 1 or more individuals responsible for processing payroll
- Understanding and experience with US payroll tax regulations and laws
- Proficient in Excel/Google Sheets
- Proficient in math and equations used in payroll processing and reporting
- Extreme attention to detail and high standards
- Strong sense of ownership, accountability, and initiative
- Comfortable working with various types of technology
- Resourceful, organized and solution-oriented
Nice to Have:
- CPP certification
- Experience working cross-culturally and with diverse, global teams
- HR Certification like SPHR or equivalent