Netflix is the world's leading internet entertainment service with over 220 million members in over 190 countries enjoying TV series, documentaries, feature films, and games across a wide variety of genres and languages. At Netflix, the Editorial Insights team brings context to content - classifying it, describing it, and capturing its essence - to help connect our members to the content they’ll love.
As part of Editorial Insights, Metadata Development’s mission is to expand the possibilities of how editorial metadata and insights can be used to help our members and the business make better sense of the world of entertainment. Our work is meant to be pioneering, experimental and boundary-pushing; rooted in the power of bringing together a human understanding of content, storytelling and audiences with scalable technology solutions.
As a Metadata Technologist focused on algorithmic solutions, you will be responsible for developing, piloting and implementing new concepts and approaches that bring deeper context to Netflix content from pitch to play. This covers the full spectrum of new metadata development, from ideation with key stakeholders to business-case development, to advocacy, buy-in, testing, and full productization across team verticals. This role will report to the Manager of Metadata Development and is remote-friendly.
- Bring together the best of technology, data and editorial expertise to drive creative and operational excellence in everything we do for Netflix.
- Expand the possibilities and potential of context which can be derived using algorithmic technology, driving innovation that both takes us deeper into content intelligence and unlocks richer member value opportunities.
- Forge new partnerships and strengthen existing ones by identifying potential new areas of collaboration and developments that question the status quo.
- Lead strategy within our algorithmic and automation initiatives by specifying, validating, and building consensus on strategic approaches while gaining advocacy and buy-in from key stakeholders.
- Manage projects from ideation to implementation, working cross-functionally to pilot and launch new concepts and approaches once they have been validated.
- Partner with Engineering, Operations, Product Management, Program Management and Planning & Analysis teams to scope and develop the tool, workflow and resource implications and possibilities of new concepts and approaches.
- Experience working with, developing and helping manage creative metadata and/or tagging systems on a global scale with the use of algorithmic technology.
- Proficient to expert understanding of the different approaches and methods of using algorithmic technology and the pros/cons of each
- Proven track record of technical innovation, followed through to productization, especially in high-scale production and editorial environments.
- Experience managing projects across the development and implementation lifecycle within highly cross-functional, non-hierarchical or matrixed workplaces.
- Incredible passion for storytelling with a deep knowledge of the worlds of television, movies, gaming and entertainment.
- Comfortable in “left brain” (logical) and “right brain” (creative) problem solving, understanding how to leverage data and insights to drive value and impact.
- Excellent communication skills: written, verbal and presentational.
- Established and demonstrable collaboration, problem-solving and conflict-resolution skills.
- Experience working with engineering, product management and data science teams.
At Netflix, we carefully consider a wide range of compensation factors to determine your personal top of market. We rely on market indicators to determine compensation and consider your specific job family, background, skills, and experience to get it right. These considerations can cause your compensation to vary and will also be dependent on your location.
The overall market range for roles in this area of Netflix is typically $80,000 - $500,000
This market range is based on total compensation (vs. only base salary), which is in line with our compensation philosophy. Netflix is a unique culture and environment. Learn more here
netflix careers, netflix jobs, netflix remote jobs