Engineering Manager, Cloud Infrastructure (Networking)
- Full Time
- Engineering Manager
Remote Job Description
The Networking team within Airbnb’s Cloud Infrastructure org owns the entire Airbnb production network infrastructure. The group is responsible for designing, building and operating the software and solutions that connect Airbnb users and services, such as, but not limited to, traffic proxy and load balancer, service mesh, VPC and cross-region connectivity, network monitoring and security systems. With users around the world, reliability, scalability, efficiency and high availability are our team’s core concerns.
The Difference You Will Make:
As an engineering manager, you’ll lead a team of talented, diverse software engineers to build, operate and improve our Airbnb Edge and Core E2E networking capabilities. This will include day-to-day operations, building the team by hiring top talents, coaching and growing engineers, technical deep dives, community engagement, and strategic planning. You will work closely with your peers across Cloud Infra on compute and cloud resource provisioning, and many other partner teams across the company.
Our engineering managers are responsible for delivering an Airbnb network platform that is flexible, efficient, always available, and scales with the needs of the business. Each manager brings their own unique skill set, experiences, thought leadership and technical expertise to solve these technical challenges for Airbnb.
A Typical Day:
- Work with TLs and partner teams to define and execute on a coherent vision and roadmap for Airbnb’s cloud network infrastructure and related components.
- Build a robust team by attracting top talent, mentoring individuals and managing conflict.
- Nurture a culture of technical quality from design, through code review, to production.
- Build strong partnership with internal teams across infrastructure by developing and communicating a clear and impactful vision and priorities for the team.
- Represent Airbnb to build strong relationships with open source communities and external service partners.
- 3+ years of engineering management experience, with 6+ years of relevant software development experience in a fast paced tech environment.
- Expertise with a public cloud provider (AWS, GCP, Azure) and their VPC and cross-region networking service offerings.
- Experience with running large scale networking systems and software (e.g. Envoy Proxies, edge networking, CDN, DNS, gateways).
- Experience with global scale network architecture on public clouds is a plus.
- Excellent communication skills and the ability to work well within a team and with teams across the engineering organization (e.g. reliability engineering, compute engineering, security engineering etc.).
- Strong problem solver and have led a team that is on-call for production infrastructure before.
- Passionate about efficiency, availability, technical quality and system quality.
How We'll Take Care of You:
Our job titles may span more than one career level. The starting base pay for this role is between $190,000 and $245,000. The actual base pay is dependent upon many factors, such as: training, transferable skills, work experience, business needs and market demands. The base pay range is subject to change and may be modified in the future. This role may also be eligible for bonus, equity, benefits, and Employee Travel Credits.
This position is US - Remote Eligible. The role may include occasional work at an Airbnb office or attendance at offsites, as agreed to with your manager. While the position is Remote Eligible, you must live in a state where Airbnb, Inc. has a registered entity. Click here for the up-to-date list of excluded states. This list is continuously evolving, so please check back with us if the state you live in is on the exclusion list. If your position is employed by another Airbnb entity, your recruiter will inform you what states you are eligible to work from.