As the Director of User Experience, you will join the Central Product Inclusion, Equity, and Accessibility (CPIEA) organization. CPIEA drives innovative solutions and provides the infrastructure, knowledge base, process, and tools for Google teams to create more inclusive, equitable, and accessible products.
In this role, you will be a key leader in defining the direction and strategy of a team focused on equity in products and broader equity efforts across Google. You will partner closely with Product Inclusion and Equity and Accessibility team leaders and members to identify and drive more collaborative efforts across the CPIEA organization. You will also work on timely, rapidly changing, and ambiguous roadmaps and help steer the direction while working with appropriate partners to define the work and clarify roles and responsibilities in areas of overlap. In addition, you will influence, facilitate, and compromise with all levels of leadership by weighing tradeoffs and risks and conduct work to help make meaningful change for critical equity initiatives.
The Core team builds the technical foundation behind Google’s flagship products. We are owners and advocates for the underlying design elements, developer platforms, product components, and infrastructure at Google. These are the essential building blocks for excellent, safe, and coherent experiences for our users and drive the pace of innovation for every developer. We look across Google’s products to build central solutions, break down technical barriers and strengthen existing systems. As the Core team, we have a mandate and a unique opportunity to impact important technical decisions across the company.
- Establish, manage, and develop a cohesive and high-performing team of UX Designers, UX Researchers, Content Strategists, and UX Program Managers.
- Remove roadblocks, promote space for team innovation, and influence executive leadership on approaches to product creation.
- Develop Google-wide Product Inclusion and Equity UX strategy and serve as the subject matter expert on Product Inclusion and Equity UX principles and methodologies.
- Partner with Accessibility and Product Inclusion and Equity team members to identify collaborative efforts (e.g., research operations), and develop and execute on a shared goal and well-prioritized strategy with the team.
- Identify and drive key stakeholder relationships, promoting needs and influencing teams to build experiences that center equity and community across Google.
- Bachelor's degree in Design, Human-Computer Interaction, a related field, or equivalent practical experience
- 15 years of experience in user experience design or programs, or 13 years with an advanced degree
- Experience developing, leading, and scaling UX teams
- Experience creating equitable products, processes, and/or policies
- Experience working with underrepresented communities
- Experience leading product inclusion teams, programs, and initiatives specific to the consumer technology industry
- Experience leading multiple UX disciplines (e.g., design, research, and content strategy)
- Experience identifying and addressing racial equity issues in technology products and understanding the impact of technology on individuals, communities, and society
- Ability to work across organization boundaries to collaboratively solve ecosystem-wide user problems
- Passion for leading teams against ambiguous problems and building and communicating a goal for how to solve them
Applications will be accepted through October 6, 2022.
Note: Google’s hybrid workplace includes remote and in-office roles. By applying to this position you will have an opportunity to share your preferred working location from the following:
In-office locations: San Francisco, CA, USA; Mountain View, CA, USA; New York, NY, USA.
Remote location(s): California, USA.