Built as a multidisciplinary in-house agency, the Sourcegraph Brand Team exists to elevate, activate and communicate the value of Sourcegraph to the world. We make this possible by serving as a strategic creative partner to cross-functional stakeholders, offering full-service creative support with a rapid, flexible, iterative process that stems from a deep understanding of our products, our processes, and our people.
In addition to increasing awareness and positive perception of the Sourcegraph brand, we strive to amplify the voices of our users and partners, by conceptualizing and producing best-in-class creative that leans heavily on storytelling and narrative to drive engagement and sharing. Our primary goal is to build and strengthen the connection between our brand and our audience as a means to increasing loyalty and retention by providing a better experience for our users.
We are looking to add our first full-stack web developer to the Brand team in order to 100x the impact and interaction of our company website. You will collaborate with our marketing web team, which includes UX/UI design, copywriting, and strategy to drive our website forward and create best-in-class digital experiences for our visitors. We’re also excited about the ways we can create “off the wall” experiences that combine traditional website content and “pages” with more interactive content, such as embedded/hidden games, animations, rabbit holes, and easter eggs. Lots and lots of easter eggs.
Sound like the challenge you’ve been waiting for? Read on for details to see what you’ll be doing over the next year:
Within one month, you will:
- Develop a deep understanding of our audience, their wants and needs related to event experiences, and their likes and dislikes on a micro and macro level.
- Have a strong understanding of our products and the problems they solve for our audience.
- Get to know the other members of the Marketing team and subteams, including Demand Generation, Product Marketing, Content Strategy, Community, and Developer Education.
- Audit our current website and begin identifying areas for improvement.
Within three months, you’ll be:
- A master of our company website infrastructure and possess strong working relationships with engineers, PMs and designers from the Product team.
- Collaborating with the marketing, communications and product groups to ensure new content, pages and navigation updates are performed in a timely manner.
- Supporting the build of new components and interactions across our site.
- Playing an integral role in all website updates, additions and improvements.
- Collaborating closely with our Product team to ensure a seamless experience for visitors and users between our marketing / company site and our product (sourcegraph.com/search).
Within six months, you will:
- Have assisted with updating our navigation system for our About site, Learning hub, and Blog.
- Have created an optimized sitemap for our site and marked all pages we do not want to be indexed as such
- Have completed a full SEO audit and devised a plan to correct and fix all issues over the next two quarters
- Have built multiple new pages, sections, and components sitewide.
- Have developed a deep understanding of our current technical infra and developed a detailed approach to improving our stack.
Within one year, you will:
- Be the source of knowledge for our company website infrastructure and stack, and create full documentation for the site including processes for maintenance and updates.
- Be the key owner of the maintenance, performance and optimization.
- Provide an action plan to future-proof our site for growth, customization, and content, such as migration to NextJS or similar infrastructure with a scalable CMS.
You are a highly-skilled, human-centered full-stack web developer with deep expertise in all facets of world class company websites and digital experiences. You eat TypeScript and CSS for breakfast and wash it down with a cool glass of NextJS. You write clean code and have a passion for the open source community, perhaps even having contributed to it yourself. You always view things from the perspective of the visitor while maintaining a direct line of sight to our business goals, value impact, and brand perception.
- Multiple years of experience working with SPAs using component-based frontend frameworks
- Familiarity with TypeScript and ReactJS
- Familiarity with CSS and SASS
- Skilled at writing clean, reusable CSS and semantic HTML to implement visual designs
- Experience with NextJs and Gatsby is preferred
- Willingness to learn new technologies quickly
- Ability to work asynchronously across multiple time zones and provide updates and communications in a timely manner
Nice to haves:
- Experience working on small, high-performing teams
- Experience working with a global or otherwise multicultural team is a plus
- Familiarity with Markdown is a plus
- Experience with Netlify CMS / headless CMS is a plus
- PHP experience a bonus but not required
- Gaming or software development experience a huge plus