Glitch is the friendly developer tool that everyone can use to create delightful experiences on the web. We're looking for an experienced Staff Software Engineer to join our Platform team.
We've built a tool that our users love, but there are still so many ways we can make it easier for them to build the apps of their dreams. As we strive to transform the developer workflow, we're looking for a technical leader to play a pivotal role in defining and implementing the next generation of Glitch.
You’ll be joining a warm, passionate team that is committed to lowering the barrier to entry for creation in tech and empowering people with code. At Glitch, we value a collaborative, inclusive, and supportive culture, and we’re looking for curious and creative problem solvers to join us.
Come help us invent new ways to build the web!
- Help build the next generation of our platform and infrastructure.
- Scope and lead large, high-impact technical initiatives.
- Deeply engage in technical decision-making at Glitch, asking questions to vet new designs and challenge existing ones through constructive and respectful discussions.
- Teach others through mentorship and code review.
- Participate in our on-call rotation for live production issues.
You may be a good fit for this role if you:
- Have a strong technical background with experience writing code and managing deliverables as the lead for large and complex projects.
- Strike the balance between moving quickly and investing where it’s worth it. You know when a refactor is needed, and, more importantly, when it is not needed.
- Prefer simple solutions and write clear, readable code that is easy to use.
- Are comfortable navigating big, unfamiliar code bases, whether it's a code base of our own or a 3rd party library.
- Love a mystery and are able to debug an issue anywhere in the stack. You always write tests for the bugs you fix.
- Value experimentation and data-informed decisions. Where instrumentation is lacking, you happily improve the observability of the systems.
- Are a clear and empathetic communicator who values collaborating with engineers of all experience levels.
- Experience designing distributed systems on AWS or similar cloud providers.
- Experience writing Node.js or comparable event-driven/non-blocking/async-heavy programming environments.
- Experience using containers or lightweight VMs for running untrusted code.
- Experience with web server applications that interact with (not just sit on) infrastructure.
When you interview, we'd like to get to know you as a coder, especially your philosophy on how to write maintainable code and how to write interfaces that others can use and build upon. If we think you may be a good fit, we’ll set up a phone screen and then proceed to conversations with the team about coding and architecture, collaboration, and technical leadership—no white boarding or live coding.
This position is remote in the US. You'll be part of a work culture where all meetings are online and apps like Slack and Zoom are the normal way to communicate.
The salary range for this position is $150,000 to $170,000, which comes with a comprehensive benefits package and equity.