Google's software engineers develop the next-generation technologies that change how billions of users connect, explore, and interact with information and one another. Our products need to handle information at massive scale, and extend well beyond web search. We're looking for engineers who bring fresh ideas from all areas, including information retrieval, distributed computing, large-scale system design, networking and data storage, security, artificial intelligence, natural language processing, UI design and mobile; the list goes on and is growing every day. As a software engineer, you will work on a specific project critical to Google’s needs with opportunities to switch teams and projects as you and our fast-paced business grow and evolve. We need our engineers to be versatile, display leadership qualities and be enthusiastic to take on new problems across the full-stack as we continue to push technology forward.
The Pixel System Software Display team is responsible for all things display for Pixel devices, across Google Tensor and display panels, from power and performance to color management and image enhancement.
The Google Pixel team focuses on designing and delivering the world's most helpful mobile experience. The team works on shaping the future of Pixel devices and services through some of the most advanced designs, techniques, products, and experiences in consumer electronics. This includes bringing together the best of Google’s artificial intelligence, software, and hardware to build global smartphones and create transformative experiences for users across the world.
Colorado only*) Minimum full-time salary range between $198,000 - $212,000 + bonus + equity + benefits. *Note: Disclosure as required by sb19-085 (8-5-20) of the minimum salary compensation for this role when being hired into our offices in Colorado.
- Collaborate with Pixel, Android, display hardware, and gChips architecture teams to ensure future Android and hardware generations meet Pixel's display needs.
- Grow in-depth expertise in display technologies and SoCs, and productize them in future Pixel devices. Architect and implement features (e.g., variable refresh rate, color management and calibration, HDR, image enhancement methods, etc.).
- Drive complete development cycles of Pixel display projects, from requirements and design through implementation and establishing test plans, setting goals for and guiding team members in the process.
- Own and develop modules in Pixel hardware abstraction layers (HALs), Android HAL implementations, kernel drivers, and bootloader drivers.
- Develop the team’s infrastructure, keeping code quality high, and implement tools to guide future software and hardware efforts.
- Bachelor's degree or equivalent practical experience.
- 8 years of experience in embedded software development, and with data structures/algorithms.
- 5 years of experience testing, and launching software products, and 3 years of experience with software design and architecture.
- 3 years of experience developing Display device drivers, such as display processor units and display panels.
- Master's degree or PhD in Engineering, Computer Science, or a related technical field.
- 5 years of experience working with embedded operating systems.
- 3 years of experience in a technical leadership role leading project teams and setting technical direction.
- 3 years of experience working in a complex, matrixed organization involving cross-functional, and/or cross-business projects.
- 3 years of experience in System on Chip (SoC) software bringup
- Experience working with display technologies (display processor units, LCD and OLED panels, DSI/DisplayPort/HDMI standards, etc.) in Android or other mobile context.
Note: Google’s hybrid workplace includes remote and in-office roles. By applying to this position you will have an opportunity to share your preferred working location from the following:
In-office locations: Mountain View, CA, USA; Chicago, IL, USA; Kirkland, WA, USA; San Diego, CA, USA; San Francisco, CA, USA.
Remote location(s): United States.