Airbnb.org is looking for a strategic and enterprising Staff Experience Designer to join our design team. This position will report to the Design Manager who oversees the design team, which is inclusive of experience design, content writing, UX research and creative functions. You’ll work closely with our Product Lead and Engineering Manager as well as partners in data science, UX research, content writing, programs and other disciplines to define the strategy of and experience design for our product.
This Senior Staff Experience Design role will be focused on evolving our product, both near-term and long-term, as you help the team navigate towards new product areas, launches, strategic initiatives and partnerships. You will help raise our bar of product excellence as we prioritize building beautiful, usable, forward-looking products that empower people and are grounded in inclusive, trauma-informed design principles that center usability and accessibility.
Our ideal candidate has a portfolio of varied work with demonstrated success building engaging digital experiences. Multidisciplinary work experiences, portfolio and strong storytelling preferred.
In December 2020, Airbnb launched Airbnb.org, a new non-profit organization and distinct brand system that builds on a long history of connecting people in times of crisis to safe, comfortable places to stay. This work began at Airbnb in 2012, when a Host named Shell reached out wanting to offer her home for free to those impacted by Hurricane Sandy in New York City. Since then, Airbnb—and now Airbnb.org—has partnered with Hosts, nonprofit organizations, emergency management agencies and governments to provide stays to people around the world in times of crisis. Today, building upon 8 years of learnings and experience providing temporary housing to 75,000 refugees, asylum seekers and people displaced by disaster or other crises across 104 countries, Airbnb.org is announcing a series of commitments to diversity, equity and inclusion.
At Airbnb.org we seek to create connection and belonging as individuals confront crises. In order to do that, we must acknowledge and work against inherent power structures and historical oppressions that have created and perpetuated systemic barriers faced by those we intend to serve.
Responsibilities will include
- Support and shape the evolution of the Airbnb.org product from a design perspective; ensure consistency with, and contribute to, our brand architecture and product architecture.
- Partner closely with our Design Manager, Product Lead and Engineering Manager to shape our strategy and roadmap
- Work with other Designers, Engineers, Data Scientists, Researchers and Writers to define problems & goals, map user flows, prototype interactions, and launch new products and services
- Oversee multiple initiatives from insight to strategy, to launch across all platforms and devices
- Successfully develop and launch high quality work that advances our mission of connection and belonging
- Provide indirect leadership and mentorship for a team of Designers through the end-to-end interaction and visual design of products and services for a global audience
- Build strong relationships with leaders inside and outside of core product teams; strong communication and executive stakeholder management skills
- Have a keen understanding of the technological, business and user opportunities and constraints
- Scopes project work (in partnership with PMs and Engineers) and helps define the design process and timeline
- Designer/Design Leader with 12+ years of experience
- Preferred: Excellent visual and interaction skills and craft
- Experience defining the design direction and process and can lead others through it.
- Can help accurately scope project work and collaboration with PM leader, engineering and other designers
- Demonstrated passion for and commitment to social impact causes
- Can effortlessly motivate and drive towards sound and intuitive product experiences
- Demonstrated ability to help a team navigate ambiguity, set vision, and set strategy for global products, capable of collaboratively contributing to product vision and roadmap
- Systems-thinker with the ability to think beyond the pixels
- Experience with making complex information, tools, and services easily digestible for your audience
- Strong storytelling, presentation, communication and stakeholder management skills
- Experience designing platforms and systems
The starting base pay for this role is between $180,000 and $235,000. The actual base pay is dependent upon many factors, such as: education, experience, and skills. The base pay range is subject to change and may be modified in the future. This role may also be eligible for bonus, equity, benefits, and Employee Travel Credits
Los Angeles, United States or
New York, United States or
San Francisco, United States or
Seattle, United States
Airbnb is a mission-driven company dedicated to helping create a world where anyone can belong anywhere. It takes a unified team committed to our core values to achieve this goal. Airbnb's various functions embody the company's innovative spirit and our fast-moving team is committed to leading as a 21st-century company.