We are looking for an experienced Data Scientist to support the Platform product area at Slack. The Platform ecosystem is a critical component of Slack’s strategy to become the place where work happens. It enables users to truly customize Slack and integrate their everyday tools to streamline and speed up work!
In this role, you will work closely with the Platform product organization to understand and improve the product experience of app developers and builders - non-technical people leveraging Slack’s no-code platform tools. As Slack builds out its next generation of Platform capabilities, you’ll work on unearthing insights and building a complete picture of what users build in Slack. You will also help establish the foundational analytics infrastructure to enable measurement of various Platform tools. You will partner with researchers, designers, and engineers to uncover user experience gaps and opportunities.
Slack has a positive, diverse, and supportive culture—we look for people who are curious, inventive, and work to be a little better every single day. In our work together we aim to be smart, humble, hardworking and, above all, collaborative. If this sounds like a good fit for you, why not say hello?
What you will be doing
- Apply various data science methods to understand usage patterns of developers and builders who create on the Slack Platform
- Perform evidence-based evaluations of the most important drivers of increased adoption of the Platform capabilities
- Build out key success metrics and reporting for the Platform product organization
- Prototype foundational data pipelines and partner with the data engineering organization to elevate these into canonical sources of truth for Platform metrics
- Identify and clearly communicate potential opportunities to improve the experience of users who want to build apps in Slack
- Evangelize evidence-based decision making by partnering with key decision makers and driving general accessibility of data and insights
- Organize disparate facts and analyses into a coherent narrative that evaluate the success of and influence product strategy
What you should have
- 4+ years of data science or engineering experience doing data science or quantitative analysis, with preferred experience in settings with multiple consumer user types, such as a marketplace or productivity or collaboration tools.
- An advanced degree (MS, PhD) in a quantitative field (e.g. Computer Science, Economics, Physics) a plus
- Expertise in at least one programming language for data analysis (e.g. Python, R, Scala)
- Experience working with data technologies that allow analysis of large amounts of data (e.g. Spark, Presto, Hive, Hadoop, etc). Familiarity with Apache Airflow is a plus.
- Comfortable and skilled at written and verbal communication to varied audiences
- Experience collaborating with and influencing cross functional partners
- Experience in building advanced data pipelines and designing data scheme and table infrastructure
- Plus: Experience with statistical and machine learning methods to build descriptive and predictive models
For Colorado-based roles: Minimum annual salary of $150,200. You may also be entitled to receive bonus, restricted stock units, and benefits. More details about our company benefits can be found at the following link: https://www.getsalesforcebenefits.com/
Slack is a messaging app for business that lets you organize conversations into channels so everyone moves faster and stays in sync. It’s a platform that connects everyone in your business—employees, customers, and partners— securely with each other and integrates easily with apps you use every day to get work done. And everything happens, using any device, within a digital workspace that’s super easy to use.
Ensuring a diverse and inclusive workplace where we learn from each other is core to Slack’s values. We welcome people of different backgrounds, experiences, abilities, and perspectives. We are an equal opportunity employer and a pleasant and supportive place to work.
Come do the best work of your life here at Slack.