As the Senior Engineering Manager for Central Data, you’ll lead a hybrid organization of Data Engineers, Analytics Engineers, and Software Engineers building foundational data & platforms to support the company’s data consumption. Ideally, you have a strong technical background which spans software engineering, data engineering, and some analytics. You also must be inspired by the power of data, and be able to intuitively identify opportunities where trustworthy data can help create business value, either through analytics, reporting, or machine learning.
This position is US - Remote Eligible. The role may include occasional work at an Airbnb office or attendance at offsites, as agreed to with your manager. Airbnb,Inc. can employ in states where we have registered entities. Currently, employees can not be located in: Alaska, Indiana, Nebraska, North Dakota, Ohio, South Dakota, Wisconsin, Alabama, Mississippi, Oklahoma, Delaware and Rhode Island. This list is continuously evolving and being updated, please check back with us if the state you live in is on the exclusion list. If your position is employed by another Airbnb entity, your recruiter will inform you what states you are eligible to work from.
Airbnb’s mission is to create a world where anybody can belong anywhere. Part of our strategy for doing this is to leverage data to build a platform which helps our guests and hosts have exceptional travel experiences. We are striving to build industry’s best Data Engineering practice at Airbnb. If you are an outstanding Data Engineering leader and are inspired by our mission, we want to hear from you!
You will be responsible for the following areas:
- Broadly useful, canonical data assets (i.e. tables, metrics, dashboards), including:
- Visitors & Device Graph - How many visits are we receiving? How many visitors are we receiving? How do visits across multiple devices map to unique visitors?
- Locations - What is the geographic location of each listing on Airbnb? Each user?
- Bots - How much of our traffic is driven by humans vs bots? What product surfaces are bots visiting? How do our bot interventions affect bot traffic?
- AWS Costs - How are teams tracking against their AWS cost goals? What are the biggest cost savings opportunities?
- The Data Engineering Paved Path, shared tooling used by all DEs in their Build, Test, Deploy, and Maintain workflows.
- Our internal X360 platform, enabling easy consumption of trustworthy entity-level data (e.g. guest, host, listing)
- Analytics Engineering support for centralized Product & Financial Analytics teams
- Company-wide Functional Lead for Data Engineering
Responsibilities of this role include:
- Develop a bold vision and comprehensive roadmaps for each area
- Partner with Data Science, Analytics, and ML Engineering teams to acquire and maintain an understanding of current and future business context and requirements
- Partner with infrastructure teams to develop next generation data platform capabilities
- Build & lead a world class Engineering org which delivers outstanding data assets & platforms which delight our customers
- Establish a team culture to reinforce engineering excellence and connection in a remote environment
- Grow, nurture, and evolve the Data Engineering function to build a best-in-industry team
We seek Engineering Managers who have:
- BS, MS or Ph.D. in computer science or related field, or equivalent work experience
- 10+ years of relevant engineering work experience in data or analytics engineering, including 5+ hands-on engineering management experience
- Hands-on experience with designing large scale offline data systems for high performance
- Experience with modern batch & real-time data processing technologies
- Proven track record in building and leading incredible engineering teams
- Passionate about understanding data and its relevance to business decisions
- Ability to operate in a fast-moving environment supporting a rapidly growing business
- Consistently made culture choices that positively impact all of engineering
- Demonstrated project management skills
Live & Work Anywhere!
When you work at Airbnb, you can live and work anywhere. You can work remotely, or in one of our offices across the world. We’ll get together regularly to build connections with our team members and partners. We will work with you to figure out the best arrangement for you and the team.
The starting base pay for this role is between $220,000 - $305,000. The actual base pay is dependent upon many factors, such as education, experience and skills. The base pay range is subject to change and may be modified in the future. This role may also be eligible for bonus, equity, benefits and Employee Travel Credits.
Airbnb is a mission-driven company dedicated to helping create a world where anyone can belong anywhere. It takes a unified team committed to our core values to achieve this goal. Airbnb's various functions embody the company's innovative spirit and our fast-moving team is committed to leading as a 21st century company.