As a Senior Engineer for Digital Payments at Skillshare, you’ll solve interesting problems while innovating on the payment options we offer to a geographically diverse customer base. You will build solutions that turn a growing number of payment methods (cards, digital wallets, vouchers, direct transfers) into a smooth, reliable experience for our customers. You’ll create new microservices and bring fresh perspective to our payments architecture.
Skillshare is a mission-driven technology startup that has built an online learning community where millions come together to take the next step in their creative journey. We want our community to get inspired, learn new skills, and work in ways they care about so that living a creative life is possible for everyone.
You’ll be joining a fast-paced team that is passionate about technology, building products we’re proud of, and upholding a strong, collaborative team culture. We’re excited to meet you!
What you'll do:
- Collaborate on the design and development of elegant, scalable GraphQL APIs that provide members access to our web and mobile clients
- Build robust integrations with third-party payment and subscription platforms
- Instrument our backend services for performance monitoring and error reporting
- Architect simple solutions to complex challenges
- Ship code to production daily to support our fast-growing product
- Participate in agile software development including daily stand-ups, bi-weekly sprint planning, and sprint retrospectives for the team
Why we're excited about you:
- You enjoy designing APIs and database schemas that are as sturdy as they are scalable
- You are interested in developing with Node.js and Typescript
- You’re ready to walk the path of migrating to a microservices architecture
- You are a natural collaborator – you work seamlessly within and between teams
- You are motivated by full ownership of your work and are eager to help improve our users’ experience
- You have experience in developing and deploying software in a continuous delivery environment
- You have experience using AWS services and developing serverless or container-based services
- You have a strong understanding of how to monitor and troubleshoot backend services
- You have experience or interest in feature flag based development
- You have a passion for having a real impact on the worldYou have worked with US-based clients/teams
- You are highly proficient in English
Why you're excited about us:
- Our team: We have a passionate, talented team that is a lot of fun to work with.
- Our mission: We’re doing work that matters – connecting lifelong learners around the world and empowering them to pursue their creativity.
- Flexibility: We believe that doing your best work means living a full life. That means different things for everyone, so we optimize for trust, invest to support remote teams, have an unlimited vacation policy (with a required minimum!), and encourage work-life balance.
- Impact: You’ll play an instrumental role as we walk the path of making our frontend 100% Next.js and React-based and iterate on key user flows.
- Your growth: Ongoing education including learning stipends, English language classes, conference opportunities, and in-house training, ranging from Equity 101 to Engineering Lunch & Learns and professional skills.
Skillshare is an online learning community for creatives. We have thousands of inspiring classes for creative and curious people, and millions of members who come together to find inspiration and take the next step in their creative journey. We are a series-D company
backed by OMERS, Union Square Ventures, Spark Capital, Amasia, Spero Ventures, and Burda Principal Investments.
Skillshare is committed to building a diverse team that reflects a variety of backgrounds, perspectives, and skills. We’re proud to be recognized as a top place to work by BuiltinNYC
, and Forbes
, in addition to being one of the five best places to work for women by Bpeace
, and a top-rated workplace for dads by Fatherly
. We work to ensure a consistent interview process, fair compensation
, and inclusive work environment for all.