As Cleo’s first Data Engineer you will develop and maintain our data infrastructure to support our scalability requirements and the growing demands of the company’s thirst for data. As Cleo grows rapidly, the problems we’re trying to solve get more complex. You’ll take the lead in driving improvements to our data platform and data engineering stack to accommodate this growth and provide the best service to our users.
We have a flat and open engineering culture where data and evidence beats opinion and hierarchy. We passionately believe in forming autonomous, cross functional teams who are empowered to deliver our ambitious strategy. You’ll work alongside our engineering team to help us collect, transform, store, and serve data across the company. You’ll also work closely with the data science function here at Cleo; a hotshot team of 8 dedicated data experts with significant industry experience that are at the heart of everything we do at Cleo.
Looking to do some work that matters?
We get it – it’s why most people come to Cleo. Together we’re fighting for the world’s financial health, building an AI that helps you make the best money decisions from day one. We’ve helped 4 million people so far with personalised insights and a voice you don’t expect in FinTech. But it’s time to do more.
As we enter the next phase, we’re looking for more improvisers, data geeks and grown ups who want to own their work and create meaningful change.
- Owning the data infrastructure and architecture, developing best practices to ingest and process data
- Own and manage our Redshift data warehouse and the data import from PostgreSQL
- Manage and improve our existing ETL jobs which are managed in stitch and a custom fork of postgres_to_redshift
- Work with various business and engineering teams to ensure reliable, scalable, robust architecture for our data platform. Work with the engineering team to ensure application design accommodates reporting and analytics requirements.
- Supporting data scientists with automation, tooling, data pipelines and data engineering expertise
- Software engineering experience with a focus on data
- Experience with data warehousing solutions such as Snowflake, Redshift, or similar managed solutions
- Experience programming in one or more general purpose programming languages, with a preference for Python
- Experience with ETL tools such as Stitch, AWS Glue, Google Dataflow, or Apache Spark
- Solid SQL experience (PostgreSQL preferred). You can not only interact with a database but design new schemata.
- Commercial experience working AWS technologies such as EC2, S3, EMR and Redshift
- Knowledge of real-time systems such as Kinesis or Kafka
- Experience with data monitoring, observability and threshold alerting tools
- A self-starting learner, confident teaching yourself to do things you have never done before
- Bias for action. You see a problem, you fix a problem. You get buy-in for your solutions and keep tickets moving. We’re always looking for ways to ship at pace.
What do you get for all your hard work?
- An above market compensation package (Base + Equity). We're prepared to pay for the very best
- Work at one of the fastest growing tech startups anywhere in the world who are backed by top VC firm, Balderton
- The team is exceptional. You'll get to work with brilliantly forward-thinking and dedicated individuals every day
- Our mission is standout. We want to radically improve everyone’s relationship with money. We're not maximising the time consumers spend in a feed, getting fast food delivered, or building an incrementally better bank. We're changing an industry in a visceral way, which you get to see every day in our customer feedback
We are committed to making Cleo a more diverse and inclusive workplace. We are making continuous changes in order to make sure that all voices, especially those of minorities are heard, supported and celebrated. Our work doesn't stop at hiring, and we are providing every employee with training, support and development throughout their Cleo career, alongside training specific to inclusivity.