Bustle is hiring a remote part-time writer to contribute smart, thoughtful service
pieces around sex, sexuality, sexual health, and gender identity. There will also be opportunities to contribute longer lead
stories, including Q&As, as-told-tos, and multi-source reported features.
The majority of stories will require the writer to find sources, conduct phone interviews, and cite peer-reviewed studies. A network of industry contacts and go-to experts (sex therapists, sex educators, psychologists, dating experts, etc.) is a plus.
No topic is off limits, so the ideal candidate will be comfortable deep-diving into the "taboo," from throuples
to what the future of porn looks like
. They should also have an authoritative yet colloquial tone of voice that would fit the Bustle audience.Candidates
must also display a strong, individual voice with an understanding of inclusivity, feminism, and body positivity.
Candidates must have availability to work 3-4 shifts during the work week, M-F. Please detail your availability in your application.
The writer will work remotely and communicate with the Sex & Relationships Editor throughout their shift
- Ability to turn in clean, accurate, and well-sourced copy in a timely fashion and accept feedback
- Comfortable covering sensitive topics
- Follow Bustle style, writing/reporting guidelines and SEO best practices
- A sense for what the Bustle reader and what makes a Bustle story
- 2+ years of experience writing for an online publication
- Experience tracking down sources and spearheading interviews
- Pitch concise, well thought out story ideas on a weekly basis
- Write 4-6 stories per week comprising a mix of pitches and assignments
- Manage multiple articles at a time, switching between topics when necessary
Bustle Digital Group (BDG) is one of today’s leading, global media companies with a portfolio of distinct digital and experiential brands that are shaping culture. Over 82 million readers turn to our brands — Bustle, Elite Daily, Inverse, Mic, NYLON, W, Romper, Input, and The Zoe Report — to hear from a set of diverse voices around the issues and interests engaging the next generation. BDG is headquartered in New York City.