We are looking for a Senior Software Engineer with a reliability and operations focus that can help us to manage and improve the reliability, efficiency, and operations of our data storage systems at Fastly.
The Data Reliability Team is responsible for supporting the infrastructure, orchestration, and reliability needs of some of Fastly’s most data-intensive applications (stats/metrics, billing, logging, security) as well as the data storage needs of the Fastly control plane.
You will partner with and support other engineering teams at Fastly by providing them with a platform that enables effective and reliable delivery of high-quality, high-throughput, globally distributed data systems and products.
What You'll Do
- Write tools to automate the maintenance and management of the data storage systems that power the core of Fastly’s data platform
- Develop software to automate and improve routine infrastructure changes
- Partner and provide guidance to software engineers around data storage best practices and tradeoffs
- Improve performance of data access through query optimization, etc.
- Partner and support engineering teams with everything from reliability, observability, and setting SLOs, to solving complex code issues
- Monitor, operate, and provision infrastructure to enable rapid deployment and resilient operation in a large-scale Linux environment
- Anticipate the reliability, scalability, and performance needs of Data Engineering teams at Fastly
What We're Looking For
- Understanding of the challenges involved in managing, operating, and maintaining scalable and reliable streaming data storage systems
- Thoughtful, empathetic, customer-driven approach to design and implementation
- Experience programming in Go or similar languages
- In-depth knowledge of one or more relational and non-relational storage systems (Elasticsearch, MongoDB, MySQL, BigQuery, BigTable, etc.)
- Strong understanding of Elasticsearch, Logstash and Kibana (ELK)
- Experience working with infrastructure as code tools such as Terraform, Chef, Ansible, Puppet
- Experience with metric collection and monitoring tools such as Prometheus
- Experience with message queues such as Google Pub/Sub, NSQ, Kafka, Kinesis
- Experience with container technology, Kubernetes/Docker, or similar
- Experience operating Kafka
- Experience with capacity planning
- We have a huge impact. Fastly is a small company with a big reach. Not only do our customers have a tremendous user base, but we also support a growing number of open source projects and initiatives. Outside of code, employees are encouraged to share causes close to their heart with others so we can help lend a supportive hand.
- We love distributed teams. Fastly’s home-base is in San Francisco, but we have multiple offices and employees sprinkled around the globe. In fact, 50% of our employees work outside of SF! An international remote culture is in our DNA.
- We care about you. Fastly works hard to create a positive environment for our employees, and we think your life outside of work is important too. We support our teams with great benefits like up to 20 weeks of paid parental leave, options for free medical/dental/vision plans, and an open vacation program that enables our folks to take the time they need to recharge (some benefits may vary by location).
- We value diversity. Growing and maintaining our inclusive and diverse team matters to us. We are committed to being a company where our employees feel comfortable bringing their authentic selves to work and have the ability to be successful -- every day.
- We are passionate. Fastly is chock full of passionate people and we’re not ‘one size fits all’. Fastly employs authors, pilots, skiers, parents (of humans and animals), makeup geeks, coffee connoisseurs, and more. We love employees for who they are and what they are passionate about.
We’re always looking for humble, sharp, and creative folks to join the Fastly team. If you think you might be a fit, please apply!
Fastly is committed to ensuring equal employment opportunity and to providing employees with a safe and welcoming work environment free of discrimination and harassment.
Employment decisions at Fastly are based on business needs, job requirements and individual qualifications, without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity, gender expression, sexual orientation, national origin, family or parental status, disability*, age, veteran status, or any other status protected by the laws or regulations in the locations where we operate. Fastly encourages applicants from all backgrounds.
*Applicants with disabilities may be entitled to reasonable accommodation under the terms of the Americans with Disabilities Act and certain state or local laws. A reasonable accommodation is a change in the way things are normally done which will ensure an equal employment opportunity without imposing undue hardship on Fastly. Please inform us if you need assistance completing any forms or to otherwise participate in the application process.
Fastly helps people stay better connected with the things they love. Fastly’s edge cloud platform enables customers to create great digital experiences quickly, securely, and reliably by processing, serving, and securing our customers’ applications as close to their end-users as possible — at the edge of the Internet. The platform is designed to take advantage of the modern internet, to be programmable, and to support agile software development. Fastly’s customers include many of the world’s most prominent companies, including Vimeo, Pinterest, The New York Times, and GitHub.
We're building a more trustworthy Internet. Come join us.