In this role, you will work with senior leadership to shape our strategy and products for internal and external customers, and actively champion a customer-centered process that integrates insights and feedback throughout the product and service lifecycle. You will help us craft a long-term vision for what best-in-class developer experience, algorithmic experience, and product quality look like. All three are crucial in helping us scale and continue to handle hundreds of millions of tweets and engagements every day. You will also build productive relationships with cross-functional partners in Product, Engineering, Data Science, Design, and ML Research & Engineering teams across the company, and collaborate with other internal research teams to connect the dots, seed ideas, and help drive better business decision-making and fuel long-term sustainable growth for Twitter. Your mission will be to help strengthen the Research practice across Twitter’s platform teams, educating and gaining buy-in for your research, and bringing to light customer needs in a way that informs better decision making.
Best of all, you will also captain a team of researchers focused on establishing a deep and comprehensive understanding of our internal customers and their current end-to-end experience to better inform future vision, strategy and measurement. You will be responsible for building and mentoring a high-performing, diverse, and multidisciplinary team of exceptional researchers.
About The Team
Twitter is committed to serving the public conversation, in a way that is informative, inclusive, and drives healthy connection. In order to better facilitate the public conversation, we are seeking a Sr. Manager of User Experience Research to lead two specialized research teams focused on empowering our Product, Engineering, Data Science, Design, and Machine Learning (ML) Research & Engineering teams to experiment quickly, make data-driven decisions, and launch new features easily.
Our research directly helps build the best-in-class products, infrastructure, and services that are used across product development at Twitter. Our goal is to build against automation, workflow design processes, and ethical design principles, and improve the experiences felt by both our colleagues and Twitter users.
Our teams are two of the Redbird Research teams, a group full of amazingly talented and fun people who are passionate about Twitter’s ability to help people see beyond themselves and connect with the larger world in a meaningful way.
Who You Are:
You are an experienced researcher, manager, and leader with an expert understanding of a wide range of qualitative and quantitative research methodologies. You have domain expertise or demonstrated experience in machine learning (ML) and/or technical infrastructure. You understand the importance of marrying customer insights (for both external and internal customers) with business goals, and cultural context. You are a creative problem-solver who seeks to deeply understand the business so that you can define the most meaningful and strategic research plans. You possess a working understanding of organization design and engineering team dynamics, and feel comfortable facilitating critical conversations with contending priorities of multiple teams. You have a demonstrated a track record of collaborating with cross-functional teams to develop forward-looking growth strategies, and have experience building an understanding of customers and rapidly iterating to determine how to serve their needs and tackle their problems through research (via rapid research, prototyping, concept testing, experimentation, etc.). Your curiosity drives you to understand the impact that product changes may have on Twitter’s diverse customer base and makes you a natural advocate for their needs. And… You care! You believe Twitter needs to build and operate high-scale systems (both organizational, responsible, and otherwise) in order to deliver a delightful experience for its users.
- 10+ years conducting strategic research, user research, and/or market research, with an excellent command of both qualitative and quantitative methods
- 8+ years managing a research team of multiple people at varying levels
- 6+ years of domain expertise or other demonstrated experience, which may include applied machine learning research, auditing / assessing algorithmic systems, developer productivity research, or related industry experience
- MS or PhD in Human-Computer Interaction, Computer Science, Cognitive Science, Statistics, Organizational Psychology, Social Science or related field (preferred)
- A track record of thought leadership and delivering research to inform business, marketing and product development strategies and roadmaps
- Experience or interest in working with different software products and services, development methodologies, productivity tools
- Experience working with cross-functional teams including Product, Engineering, Research, Legal, Policy, and/or Design
- Passionate interest in Twitter’s products and mission
- Strong writing and communications skills
Twitter is what's happening and what people are talking about right now. For us, life's not about a job, it's about purpose. We believe real change starts with conversation. Here, your voice matters. Come as you are and together we'll do what's right (not what's easy) to serve the public conversation.
- Challenge - We solve some of the industry's hardest problems. Come to be challenged, learn, and supporting our engineers to create some of the world's best products
- Diversity - Diversity makes us a better organization and team. We value diverse backgrounds, ideas, and experiences.
- Work, Life, Balance - We work hard, but we believe with hard work should come balance. This is a global role where you will work with Twitter employees across the world.
We are committed to an inclusive and diverse Twitter. Twitter is an equal opportunity employer. We do not discriminate based on race, ethnicity, color, ancestry, national origin, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, disability, veteran status, genetic information, marital status or any other legally protected status.
The applicable salary range for each U.S.-based role is based on where the employee works and is aligned to one of 4 tiers according to a cost of labor index in that geographic area. Starting pay for the successful applicant will depend on a variety of job-related factors, which may include education, training, experience, location, business needs, or market demands. The expected salary ranges for this role, are set forth below. These ranges may be modified in the future.
- Tier A: USD $212,000 - USD $297,000
- Tier B: USD $202,000 - USD $282,000
- Tier C: USD $191,000 - USD $267,000
- Tier D: USD $179,000 - USD $253,000
You can view which tier applies to where you plan to work here
and is updated for any future jurisdiction which requires publication of the salary range on the job posting. If your location is not listed, please speak with your recruiter for additional information.
This job is also eligible for participation in Twitter’s Performance Bonus Plan and Equity Incentive Plan subject to the terms of the applicable plans and policies.
Twitter offers a wide range of benefits to U.S.-based employees, including medical, dental, and vision insurance, 401(k) program with employer match, generous time off for vacation, sick time, and parental leave. Twitter’s benefits prioritize employee wellness and progressive support to our diverse workforce.