We are seeking an enthusiastic and experienced Sr. Manager, Brand Design to support the evolution of Fastly’s visual brand identity and manage the creative and design production functions. In this role, you will be responsible for supporting the active evolution of Fastly’s design system and the brand story it reinforces. You will be a creative business partner to a variety of stakeholders across the company, tasked with managing initiatives that advance our brand, demand, and culture. You will lead a team of designers, providing them with the support they need to dream up and deliver outstanding work and the structure and processes that make it all possible.
You’ll thrive in this role if you consider yourself a builder, as comfortable coaching your team toward high-impact work as you are rolling up your sleeves to develop the processes and strategies that help us scale. You are ready to meet the needs of a fast-growing organization by helping us gain maturity through design and operational excellence.
What You'll Do
- Manage and develop a team of talented and hardworking brand designers, providing high quality, actionable direction and feedback.
- Serve as a partner to internal customers and leadership, showing up as a trusted and reliable resource as well as a strategic creative advisor.
- Organize the approach to evolving Fastly’s visual identity and the accompanying visual systems that define our brand.
- Guide brand design team direction and goals.
- Partner in the creation of global brand assets across a range of media including web, digital, print, and video.
- Define and run creative workflows that result in high-quality, timely deliverables; prioritize and assign all design tasks.
- Set and uphold the bar for high quality, insightful, and differentiating design work.
- Operationalize and scale the delivery of design production work through agencies and vendor partners. Help keep large-scale projects on track.
- Partner with the content, web, and product design teams to build an authentic, consistent experience across all channels, for practitioner and executive audiences.
- Drive internal enablement and positive awareness of design trends, standards and processes, through a design culture of open collaboration, accessibility, and knowledge sharing.
What We're Looking For
- Experience: 7+ years creative design experience (at least 5 years management experience) with a portfolio demonstrating visual design and branding excellence, as well as proficiency in end-to-end, customer-focused design processes (portfolio link required).
- Proven ability to contribute to the evolution of a visual brand, including brand guidelines or design systems.
- Proven ability to create the processes and systems necessary for design teams to effectively scale to meet the needs of a growing organization.
- Expertise at managing the design process, including working with partners to develop creative briefs, prioritizing intake/request queues, working in project management software, and effectively managing internal and external resources.
- Experience working with contractors, vendors, and agency partners to subsidize the core team’s resources and talent profile; ability to effectively activate partners against budgets and timelines.
- Experience (and passion for!) coaching, mentoring, and developing creative talent.
- We have a huge impact. Fastly is a small company with a big reach. Not only do our customers have a tremendous user base, but we also support a growing number of open source projects and initiatives. Outside of code, employees are encouraged to share causes close to their heart with others so we can help lend a supportive hand.
- We love distributed teams. Fastly’s home-base is in San Francisco, but we have multiple offices and employees sprinkled around the globe. In fact, 50% of our employees work outside of SF! An international remote culture is in our DNA.
- We care about you. Fastly works hard to create a positive environment for our employees, and we think your life outside of work is important too. We support our teams with great benefits like up to 20 weeks of paid parental leave, options for free medical/dental/vision plans, and an open vacation program that enables our folks to take the time they need to recharge (some benefits may vary by location).
- We value diversity. Growing and maintaining our inclusive and diverse team matters to us. We are committed to being a company where our employees feel comfortable bringing their authentic selves to work and have the ability to be successful -- every day.
- We are passionate. Fastly is chock full of passionate people and we’re not ‘one size fits all’. Fastly employs authors, pilots, skiers, parents (of humans and animals), makeup geeks, coffee connoisseurs, and more. We love employees for who they are and what they are passionate about.
We’re always looking for humble, sharp, and creative folks to join the Fastly team. If you think you might be a fit, please apply!
Fastly is committed to ensuring equal employment opportunity and to providing employees with a safe and welcoming work environment free of discrimination and harassment.
Employment decisions at Fastly are based on business needs, job requirements and individual qualifications, without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity, gender expression, sexual orientation, national origin, family or parental status, disability*, age, veteran status, or any other status protected by the laws or regulations in the locations where we operate. Fastly encourages applicants from all backgrounds.
*Applicants with disabilities may be entitled to reasonable accommodation under the terms of the Americans with Disabilities Act and certain state or local laws. A reasonable accommodation is a change in the way things are normally done which will ensure an equal employment opportunity without imposing undue hardship on Fastly. Please inform us if you need assistance completing any forms or to otherwise participate in the application process.
Fastly helps people stay better connected with the things they love. Fastly’s edge cloud platform enables customers to create great digital experiences quickly, securely, and reliably by processing, serving, and securing our customers’ applications as close to their end-users as possible — at the edge of the Internet. The platform is designed to take advantage of the modern internet, to be programmable, and to support agile software development. Fastly’s customers include many of the world’s most prominent companies, including Vimeo, Pinterest, The New York Times, and GitHub.
We're building a more trustworthy Internet. Come join us.