At Spotify Advertising, our part of that mission is to build the next generation advertising platform for audio which can scale the freemium experience for hundreds of millions of fans and tens of thousands of advertisers. This scale brings unique challenges as well as tremendous opportunities to define the insights product for our business.
We work at the intersection of advertising technologies to connect millions of brands to billions of fans. We’re paving the way for a global Spotify business that empowers even more creators to make a living off their art. Come join us and help build the platform that powers promotion at Spotify.
We are looking for an experienced Sr EM to accelerate learning, tech excellence and delivery within Spotify’s Ads Business Unit. In this role, you will be instrumental in leading the engineering teams responsible for our API and infrastructure of our large distributed architecture.
You'll lead multi-functional teams who ensure the stability, reliability and growth of our 60+ backend services and web UIs; and you’ll be helping grow our nascent ads API to support a new advertising channel. Your responsibilities will include leading leaders; scaling an organization; facilitating technical design and development; high quality delivery and ensuring a strong relationship with our business partners.
Above all, your work will impact the way the world experiences music and podcasts!
What You'll Do
- Develop managers through coaching, mentoring, and support
- Facilitate collaboration within and across teams of engineers, product managers, and designers to tackle interesting and exciting problems across our ad platform
- Guide and facilitate engineering technology architecture decisions for product development
- Advocate for and support quality-focused development practices (CI/CD, testing, operational efficiency, etc.)
- Grow the technical expertise of your team around quality, scalability, performance, and fault tolerance using pioneering tools
- Advocate and promote leadership within the larger engineering community
- Determine staffing needs for open roles and work closely with the recruitment team to hire and onboard engineers as needed
Who You Are
- You have a minimum of 5 years of experience managing managers and tech leads
- You are experienced with leading, coaching, and mentoring experienced individuals and teams
- You approach leadership thoughtfully, compassionately and with curiosity
- You remain informed about modern leadership practices and apply them to your domain
- You practice leadership as a team sport
- You navigate difficult situations and hold yourself and others accountable
- You have hands-on experience driving architectural strategy and design for complex systems
- You've worked on large-scale distributed systems that require high availability and scalability
- You follow modern engineering practices such as XP, DDD, and ideally contribute to the software development community
- You have a strong understanding of development practices across both frontend and backend systems and frameworks
- You can prioritize multiple inbound requests, understanding trade-offs, and ultimately steering your team towards building the right solution
- You have a bias for action and can make tough calls when needed
- You have an eye for quality and testing standards and frameworks
- You are passionate about documentation, and understand its importance within a distributed work environment
- You have experience facilitating delivery of large scale initiatives involving multiple teams or technologies
- You've successfully delivered highly visible initiatives in the past
- You partner with Product, Design and Insights teams to delivery well-rounded solutions
- You are comfortable building and strengthening connections with many types of individuals in a large organization as well as external customers
- You can make and articulate tradeoffs between tech and business implications
- You can represent tech in various multi-functional forums and at all levels
- You have strong communication skills
Where You'll Be:
- We are a distributed workforce enabling our band members to find a work mode that is best for them!
- Where in the world? For this role, it can be within the Americas region in which we have a work location
- Prefer an office to work from home instead? Not a problem! We have plenty of options for your working preferences.
- Find more information about our Work From Anywhere options here.
Spotify is an equal opportunity employer. You are welcome at Spotify for who you are, no matter where you come from, what you look like, or what’s playing in your headphones. Our platform is for everyone, and so is our workplace. The more voices we have represented and amplified in our business, the more we will all thrive, contribute, and be forward-thinking! So bring us your personal experience, your perspectives, and your background. It’s in our differences that we will find the power to keep revolutionizing the way the world listens.
Spotify transformed music listening forever when we launched in 2008. Our mission is to unlock the potential of human creativity by giving a million creative artists the opportunity to live off their art and billions of fans the chance to enjoy and be passionate about these creators. Everything we do is driven by our love for music and podcasting. Today, we are the world’s most popular audio streaming subscription service with a community of more than 381 million users.