The API Services team is a newly formed group helping to reshape how customers interact with our APIs in a developer first company. The team's goal is to establish and advocate API standards across the organization, build and maintain shared services, and make great APIs easy to build, test, deploy and scale.
We are looking for an experienced Senior Engineering Manager to lead a team of outstanding engineers and establish the future of API development at Fastly. You will play a key role in inspiring and driving the efforts of the engineering team to deliver both internal and customer-facing solutions.
Interested in building the next generation of APIs for a fast growing company at scale? Read on!
What You'll Do
- Lead a new team designing and implementing APIs across product verticals
- Provide architectural guidance impacting adjacent systems like databases and caching infrastructure
- Understand the broader API ecosystem at Fastly and work across engineering teams to build plans for the supportability, migration and evolution of existing services
- Build, mentor, and grow a distributed team of engineers and technical leaders responsible for building and maintaining the APIs our customers rely on
- Empower a team of highly productive engineers to make decisions and execute
- Partner with Product and Program Management to strategically prioritize and plan projects
- Build strong working relationships with internal customers to solve problems and facilitate adoption of API standards and tooling
- Mentor and provide regular feedback to engineers in design, architecture, development, quality, and career development
- Recruit and hire engineers and develop them into a thriving, collaborative team
What We're Looking For
- Significant experience and preference for working with remote-first teams
- Experience leading teams working on high traffic API services in Go, with familiarity in Ruby, Perl or Rust a plus
- Track record of leading large scale, company wide API initiatives with broad impact, buy-in and success
- Strong understanding and passion for web and API standards like HTTP, DNS, security, caching and CDN architectures
- Solid understanding of infrastructure and CI tools like Terraform, Kubernetes, Docker, Chef, Jenkins and Travis
- Someone with the ability to periodically travel to off-site engineering gatherings when it is safe to do so. Team bonding is important to us, and we love to discuss everything from roadmaps and culture to engineering management practice.
- Eloquently and strategically connecting engineering work with customer value. Not just interested in puzzle-solving, but puzzle-solving with a purpose and focus on delivery.
- We have a huge impact. Fastly is a small company with a big reach. Not only do our customers have a tremendous user base, but we also support a growing number of open source projects and initiatives. Outside of code, employees are encouraged to share causes close to their heart with others so we can help lend a supportive hand.
- We love distributed teams. Fastly’s home-base is in San Francisco, but we have multiple offices and employees sprinkled around the globe. In fact, 50% of our employees work outside of SF! An international remote culture is in our DNA.
- We care about you. Fastly works hard to create a positive environment for our employees, and we think your life outside of work is important too. We support our teams with great benefits like up to 20 weeks of paid parental leave, options for free medical/dental/vision plans, and an open vacation program that enables our folks to take the time they need to recharge (some benefits may vary by location).
- We value diversity. Growing and maintaining our inclusive and diverse team matters to us. We are committed to being a company where our employees feel comfortable bringing their authentic selves to work and have the ability to be successful -- every day.
- We are passionate. Fastly is chock full of passionate people and we’re not ‘one size fits all’. Fastly employs authors, pilots, skiers, parents (of humans and animals), makeup geeks, coffee connoisseurs, and more. We love employees for who they are and what they are passionate about.
We’re always looking for humble, sharp, and creative folks to join the Fastly team. If you think you might be a fit, please apply!
Fastly is committed to ensuring equal employment opportunity and to providing employees with a safe and welcoming work environment free of discrimination and harassment.
Employment decisions at Fastly are based on business needs, job requirements and individual qualifications, without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity, gender expression, sexual orientation, national origin, family or parental status, disability*, age, veteran status, or any other status protected by the laws or regulations in the locations where we operate. Fastly encourages applicants from all backgrounds.
*Applicants with disabilities may be entitled to reasonable accommodation under the terms of the Americans with Disabilities Act and certain state or local laws. A reasonable accommodation is a change in the way things are normally done which will ensure an equal employment opportunity without imposing undue hardship on Fastly. Please inform us if you need assistance completing any forms or to otherwise participate in the application process.
Fastly helps people stay better connected with the things they love. Fastly’s edge cloud platform enables customers to create great digital experiences quickly, securely, and reliably by processing, serving, and securing our customers’ applications as close to their end-users as possible — at the edge of the Internet. The platform is designed to take advantage of the modern internet, to be programmable, and to support agile software development. Fastly’s customers include many of the world’s most prominent companies, including Vimeo, Pinterest, The New York Times, and GitHub.
We're building a more trustworthy Internet. Come join us.