Back To All Remote Jobs View All Legal Jobs
Senior Counsel / Associate General Counsel, Content & Privacy - (Quora)
Quora Full Time Legal Remote-US
Remote Job Description
[As of June 2020, Quora has become a "remote-first" company. This position can be performed remotely from anywhere in the United States, regardless of any location that might be specified above.]
The vast majority of human knowledge is still not on the internet. Most of it is trapped in the form of personal experience in people's heads, or buried in books and research papers that only experts can access. More than a billion people use the internet, yet only a tiny fraction contribute their knowledge to it. We want to democratize access to knowledge of all kinds -- from politics to painting, cooking to coding, etymology to experiences -- so if someone out there knows something, anyone else can learn it. Our mission is to share and grow the world's knowledge, and we're building a world-class team to help us achieve this mission.
About the Team:
The Quora legal team is a highly collaborative, talented group of individuals who partner closely with the product and business teams to support the company’s scaled growth. The product is currently available in 24 languages and localized in more than 30 countries worldwide. As a member of the legal team, you will have the opportunity to shape the direction and growth of a best-in-class legal team.
About the Role:
Quora’s legal department seeks an experienced professional to join its growing legal team for our global business. Reporting to the General Counsel, the role will involve leadership, product support, cross-functional responsibilities, and the ability to wear many hats in a global, consumer internet company. The position will serve as an important member of the management team as the legal department scales over time.
- Litigation: Handle inquiries by regulators, as well as pre-litigation disputes, and manage outside counsel on litigation matters
- Content Moderation: Oversee legal escalations about content moderation on the platform and law enforcement requests; you will help refine the company’s evolving policies and practices for quality content moderation worldwide
- IP and Privacy: Lead Quora’s intellectual property enforcement strategy and assist with various privacy compliance initiatives and data subject requests.
- Other Legal Needs: You will have the opportunity to lead or assist with other matters for our dynamic legal team, based on your unique skills, experience, and interests, including potentially product counseling or employment matters.
- Ability to be available for meetings and impromptu communication during Quora's "coordination hours" (Mon-Fri: 9am-3pm Pacific Time). Learn why here
- J.D. and member in good standing of the California State Bar
- 6+ years of legal practice
- Substantial knowledge about content regulations, trademark and copyright laws, and privacy regulations, along with dispute resolution experience
- Strong sense of customer service when working with internal and external customers
- Flexible, positive, communicative team player with outstanding interpersonal skills
- Ability to work with fast-paced team, cross-functionally, and collaboratively
- Good problem solver, clear strategic thinker and ability to frame complex legal, compliance and regulatory issues for non-experts
- Indomitable integrity and strong work ethic
- In-house legal experience totaling 3 or more years as part of work history
- Global expansion experience for a platform
- Passion for Quora's mission and goals
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.Apply for this job