DoorDash is hiring an exceptional privacy lawyer to join our expanding legal team. You will work on cutting edge privacy matters, with the opportunity to have ownership of projects and make an immediate impact on a fast-growing, dynamic business. You will work cross functionally with our product teams and product counsel and just about every stakeholder group at DoorDash on crazy exciting privacy projects at a global scale. This role reports into the Senior Counsel, Privacy.
As Privacy Counsel, you’ll work closely with teams throughout the company—including Engineering, Security, Product, Marketing, Business Development, Press, and Public Policy—to advise on data privacy and security. You’ll become an expert on our existing products and help shape the development of what’s next (TL;DR: exciting stuff!). As for us, we’ve built a strong reputation within the company for our confident, supportive approach to counseling, always with a bias for action. We’re team players and we’re always looking for ways to grow and excel together. Join us!
About the Team
Our Legal Team has built a reputation within the company for our supportive approach to counseling, always with a bias for action. We’re a group of seasoned business-forward lawyers and legal and compliance professionals, who work collaboratively, have a healthy sense of humor, are humble, and are kind to one another and our clients. Join us!
You’re excited about this opportunity because you will…
- Advise stakeholders throughout the business on privacy issues, including application of DoorDash’s privacy policies to new product features.
- Help business and engineering teams design new products and services with privacy and security in mind.
- Take a leading role in our compliance efforts with emerging privacy laws and regulations, including maturing our compliance program for the current five (5!) U.S. states that have passed comprehensive privacy legislation.
- Be empowered to tackle super interesting privacy issues in areas of the law that are often unclear!
We’re excited about you because…
- You have 5-7+ years of full-time privacy and data security experience practicing law at a top-tier firm, and/or in-house.
- You have a JD and are admitted to any US state bar.
- You are committed to fostering a diverse, equitable, and inclusive work environment and have prioritized participating in DEI initiatives in past roles.
- You have a strong track record of building out compliance programs to comply with domestic and international privacy laws and regulations. Experience with CCPA, CPRA, other U.S. state privacy legislation and the EU GDPR.
- You are comfortable advising the business on complex B2C issues.
- You are experienced in negotiating privacy and security terms in vendor, partnership and other commercial agreements. You are adept at advising on international transfer matters.
- You are experienced in developing and rolling out business and consumer friendly policies.
- You can execute on projects that require significant cross-functional partnership.
- You are able to work autonomously, exercise sound judgment, and balance legal risks with business objectives in a fast-paced environment.
- You’re a self-starter; intrinsically motivated but also a good teammate.
- You have a philosophy that no task is too big or small and an interest in learning and growth.
- You are a big picture thinker and are able to effectively prioritize projects and workflow based on relative impact to the business.
- You are comfortable with uncertainty and ambiguity.
- You have interests/passions outside of work that are important to you.
Nice to Haves
- Experience as an in-house lawyer, particularly in the tech industry, with exposure to e-commerce and/or the gig economy.
- Experience with advertising technologies.
- Experience working with engineers and other technologists.
- Experience advising international clients on product launches and country launches and managing international outside counsel.
- M&A integration experience.
- Experience at a company in a major growth phase.
- CIPP certification
At DoorDash, our mission to empower local economies shapes how our team members move quickly, learn, and reiterate in order to make impactful decisions that display empathy for our range of users—from Dashers to merchant partners to consumers. We are a technology and logistics company that started with door-to-door delivery, and we are looking for team members who can help us go from a company that is known for delivering food to a company that people turn to for any and all goods.
DoorDash is growing rapidly and changing constantly, which gives our team members the opportunity to share their unique perspectives, solve new challenges, and own their careers. We're committed to supporting employees’ happiness, healthiness, and overall well-being by providing comprehensive benefits and perks including premium healthcare, wellness expense reimbursement, paid parental leave and more.