Fastly helps people stay better connected with the things they love. Fastly’s edge cloud platform enables customers to create great digital experiences quickly, securely, and reliably by processing, serving, and securing our customers’ applications as close to their end-users as possible — at the edge of the Internet. The platform is designed to take advantage of the modern internet, to be programmable, and to support agile software development. Fastly’s customers include many of the world’s most prominent companies, including Vimeo, Pinterest, The New York Times, and GitHub.
We're building a more trustworthy Internet. Come join us.
Principal Software Engineer, Data Engineering
We are looking for a technical leader with experience in building and growing large scale data pipelines. You will support the Data Engineering Organization to improve the reliability, speed, and efficiency of the pipelines that power our existing and future integrated Security products.
You will have the autonomy and support to experiment, improve and ultimately define the future of the systems you are responsible for. As a Data Engineering leader you will provide mentorship as well as help us shape patterns, standards, and methodologies for the whole department.
What You'll Do
- Develop, maintain, and test globally distributed systems that collect and aggregate large amounts of data
- Help build the infrastructure required to reliably and securely transport data from a wide variety of sources
- Maintain and evolve the pipeline APIs that the broad Fastly organization relies upon
- Help us optimize (even re-design!) our company’s data architecture to support the next generation of products and data initiatives
- Mentor teams in everything from monitoring to solving complex code issues
- Anticipate the scalability & performance needs of Data Engineering teams at Fastly
- Work collaboratively with cross functional teams
What We're Looking For
- Understanding of the challenges involved in building, operating, and maintaining scalable and reliable streaming data pipelines (Apache Beam, Spark, etc)
- Experience in projects related to low-latency data collection and analysis
- Experience with programming in Java or Kotlin
- Writing code that is performant, maintainable, clear, and concise
- A history of technical leadership for highly scalable & reliable software
- A technical lead who can execute effectively with a distributed team
- Thoughtful, customer driven approach to design and implementation
- Experience with GCP (Google Cloud Platform) or AWS infrastructure
- Experience programming in Go or similar languages
- Experience with Machine Learning & Analytical tools
- Experience with pub/sub style message queues such as Google Pub/Sub, NSQ, Kafka, Kinesis
- Experience with relational and non-relational storage systems (BigQuery, MySQL, BigTable, Dynamo, Cassandra)
- Expertise in designing, analyzing, profiling, and troubleshooting large-scale distributed systems
- Data Science experience
- We have a huge impact. Fastly is a small company with a big reach. Not only do our customers have a tremendous user base, but we also support a growing number of open source projects and initiatives. Outside of code, employees are encouraged to share causes close to their heart with others so we can help lend a supportive hand.
- We love distributed teams. Fastly’s home-base is in San Francisco, but we have multiple offices and employees sprinkled around the globe. In fact, 50% of our employees work outside of SF! An international remote culture is in our DNA.
- We care about you. Fastly works hard to create a positive environment for our employees, and we think your life outside of work is important too. We support our teams with great benefits like up to 20 weeks of paid parental leave, options for free medical/dental/vision plans, and an open vacation program that enables our folks to take the time they need to recharge (some benefits may vary by location).
- We value diversity. Growing and maintaining our inclusive and diverse team matters to us. We are committed to being a company where our employees feel comfortable bringing their authentic selves to work and have the ability to be successful -- every day.
- We are passionate. Fastly is chock full of passionate people and we’re not ‘one size fits all’. Fastly employs authors, pilots, skiers, parents (of humans and animals), makeup geeks, coffee connoisseurs, and more. We love employees for who they are and what they are passionate about.
We’re always looking for humble, sharp, and creative folks to join the Fastly team. If you think you might be a fit, please apply!
Fastly is committed to ensuring equal employment opportunity and to providing employees with a safe and welcoming work environment free of discrimination and harassment.
Employment decisions at Fastly are based on business needs, job requirements and individual qualifications, without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity, gender expression, sexual orientation, national origin, family or parental status, disability*, age, veteran status, or any other status protected by the laws or regulations in the locations where we operate. Fastly encourages applicants from all backgrounds.
*Applicants with disabilities may be entitled to reasonable accommodation under the terms of the Americans with Disabilities Act and certain state or local laws. A reasonable accommodation is a change in the way things are normally done which will ensure an equal employment opportunity without imposing undue hardship on Fastly. Please inform us if you need assistance completing any forms or to otherwise participate in the application process.