We are looking for an experienced, highly motivated attorney to join us as Lead Counsel, Community Trust to provide legal support and counseling on our community policies that address civil rights, trust and safety, and other matters that impact our platform and community globally. These are some of the most important issues we work on in the Legal department and your work will play a critical role. The position reports to our Associate General Counsel, Community Trust.
This is a unique opportunity to work on novel issues in an exciting, fast-paced environment. This job is for you if you have superb writing skills, enjoy ambiguity, love working on complex legal and social issues, and believe that a company can change the world by encouraging immersive travel and experiences. You work well with business partners as well as lawyers, have an upbeat positive attitude even in the face of crisis, are collaborative, thrive on building relationships and working with others, and shy away from drama.
This position is US - Remote Eligible. The role may include occasional work at an Airbnb office or attendance at offsites, as agreed to with your manager. Airbnb,Inc. can employ in states where we have registered entities. Currently, employees can not be located in: Alaska, Indiana, Nebraska, North Dakota, Ohio, South Dakota, Wisconsin, Alabama, Mississippi, Oklahoma, Delaware and Rhode Island. This list is continuously evolving and being updated, please check back with us if the state you live in is on the exclusion list. If your position is employed by another Airbnb entity, your recruiter will inform you what states you are eligible to work from.
Airbnb is a mission-driven company dedicated to helping create a world where people can belong anywhere. It takes a unified team that is committed to our core values to achieve this goal.
Airbnb’s Legal team embodies the company’s innovative, forward-thinking spirit. At the frontier of the new sharing economy, Airbnb is breaking new ground in matters of policy, law, and government relations. Where some see obstacles, we see the opportunity to find creative, practical solutions, right at the cutting edge. Our adventurous, fast-moving legal team is committed to building a team of talented, collaborative and self-motivated legal professionals across the globe who believe in Airbnb’s mission and leading as a 21st century company.
- Assist with drafting Airbnb’s internal and external facing policies that pertain to civil rights, trust and safety, and our community standards
- Collaborate with business and legal teams to develop policy principles and synthesize stakeholder goals and objectives
- Work closely with our community support and operations teams to implement new policies and policy changes across the platform
- Provide hands-on investigation, analysis, and advice on an array of matters that implicate Airbnb policies and policy enforcement
- Assess, manage, and provide legal advice to stakeholders regarding tort, discrimination, and disparate impact claims, and related internal investigations
- Ability to both advise on and drive cross-functional projects with business partners, including Trust & Safety, Communications, Public Policy, Community Policy, Product, and Hosting teams
- Help manage team resources to align with business priorities and objectives
- Active championship of Airbnb’s mission, ethics and integrity
- Support of Airbnb’s commitment to building and maintaining a diverse and inclusive workplace, free of discrimination and harassment
Required Background, Knowledge, Skills
- J.D. with strong academic credentials and demonstrated record of success as a senior in-house lawyer or law firm partner
- Member of California Bar or eligible to register as Registered In-House Counsel
- Minimum 12 years of significant knowledge and experience with issues such as litigation, risk mitigation, trust and safety, civil rights. Experience with internal investigations is a plus.
- Outstanding analytical, oral, and writing skills, including the ability to distill complex legal issues efficiently and effectively for a business audience, often in novel or ambiguous situations
- Possess a highly-developed sense of urgency in time sensitive and high stakes matters
- Demonstrated record of entrepreneurial, quick-thinking, pragmatic, business-oriented advice that properly balances both legal risk and business reward
- Highly motivated, efficient, and organized with proven ability to thrive in a fast-paced work environment
- Excellent communication skills with capacity to advocate for a position while maintaining collaborative and open-minded approach
- Passion for travel, home sharing and deep appreciation for Airbnb community
- Good sense of humor, disdain for drama, and desire to get things done
Airbnb is committed to working with the best and brightest people from the broadest talent pool possible. We believe a diversity of ideas fosters innovation and engagement, and allows us to attract the best people, and develop the best products, services and solutions. Qualified individuals from all walks of life are encouraged to apply.
Our job titles may span more than one career level. The starting base pay for this role is between $225,000 and $280,000. The actual base pay is dependent upon many factors, such as: training, transferable skills, work experience, business needs and market demands. The base pay range is subject to change and may be modified in the future. This role may also be eligible for bonus, equity, benefits, and Employee Travel Credits.
Belonging & Accommodations
Airbnb is committed to working with the best and brightest people from the broadest talent pool possible. We believe a diversity of ideas fosters innovation and engagement, and allows us to attract the best people, and to develop the best products, services and solutions. All qualified individuals are encouraged to apply. If you need assistance, or a reasonable accommodation during the application and recruiting process, please contact us at: email@example.com.