We're looking for a few Engineering Managers to join Zapier. Curious to learn more about the teams you could support? Then read on…
- Brand & Marketing: The Brand & Marketing team has a mission to provide our Marketing and Design Teams with the self-serve tools they need to best serve Zapier customers. This toolset includes our email and segmentation platform powered by integrations with HubSpot, Iterable and Mailgun; and our Content Engine platform powered by integrations with Contentful headless CMS and WYSIWYG Builder.io CMS.
- Revenue Growth: Working closely with partners in the exec team, finance and marketing, the Revenue Growth leads highly data driven experimentation around how we price, package and promote Zapier. In addition to making it incredibly easy for users to see the value in our paid plans, drive account expansion/upgrade, and finding opportunities to grow and retain customer value, we own the underlying pricing experimentation platform.
- Sharing & Settings: The Sharing & Settings Team is responsible for account management and collaboration features for our users. We own Zap Templates and Shared Zaps, and are in the process of a large re-architecture to enable future product innovation and support new ways to share Zapier. We’re also involved in supporting new initiatives such as providing product solutions for Experts and SMBs.
We know applying for and taking on a new job at any company requires a leap of faith. We want you to feel comfortable and excited to apply at Zapier. To help share a bit more about life at Zapier, here are a few resources in addition to the job description that can give you an inside look at what life is like at Zapier. We hope you'll take the leap of faith and apply.
Zapier is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace dedicated to pursuing and hiring a diverse workforce.
Even though our job description may seem like we're looking for a specific candidate, the role inevitably ends up tailored to the person who applies and joins. Regardless of how well you feel you fit our description, we encourage you to apply if:
You're motivated by building effective engineering teams and are happy to roll up your sleeves and dive into code when needed.
You are an effective team builder. This isn't your first rodeo. You have at least two years of experience managing teams of Full Stack and Frontend Engineers. You know how to hire, train, and develop engineers from all backgrounds. You understand the benefits of building a diverse and inclusive engineering team. You may not have hired or managed hundreds of people before, but you have hired, trained, and managed at least a few engineers before.
You’re a product thinker. As an Engineering Manager, you’ve worked to set goals, metrics, and a strategy for a product-focused Engineering team. You push your team to prioritize impactful work to meet the company’s goals.
You can keep track of, prioritize, and lead multiple projects. We're a small team, and there's no shortage of things you could be doing in a day. You'll carve out time for functional projects and make sure they solve real problems the team faces -- ideally making development even easier.
You have excellent communication skills. You regularly work with engineers and other stakeholders from various disciplines, balancing engineering concerns, such as technical debt, with product concerns. Ideally, you find solutions that address both the team and user needs but if not, help build understanding around difficult decisions.
You are a skilled engineering leader. You've got a strong background in leading a team of Engineers working in our stack (Python, Django or React, ES6 or Node.js, etc.). Even if you aren't a daily coder, you regularly exercise your coding muscles and try to be an asset on any technical context your team may need.
You're adaptable. You've been in fast growing companies and know how to build, change, and adapt to the needs of a company as it grows.
Things You Might Do
Zapier is a small, fast-growing, and remote-first company, so you'll likely get experience on many different projects across the organization. That said, here are some things you'll probably do:
- Work closely with your engineering function and peer design function and product function to create a trio that tackles user problems and solutions.
- Develop effective ways to communicate, monitor, and lead your team through weekly one-on-one’s and team meetings.
- Keep the leadership team informed on your team’s progress in ways that are easy and enjoyable to receive, like one-on-one's, update posts, and regular team hangouts.
- Build rapport with each member of the Engineering Team and support them through coaching and mentorship to help level up their skills.
- Participate in code reviews, learning and spreading technical knowledge throughout Zapier -- moving knowledge to documentation where appropriate.
- Help the team build tools for partners and developers that come to our platform to create Apps that live on Zapier. Imagine Postman meets OpenAPI on steroids.
- Occasionally dive into the code; fixing bugs, improving developer experience, smoothing edges -- sometimes even spiking out small proofs of concept.
- Collaborate across various disciplines (Product Managers, Designers, Researchers) to help set technical roadmaps that will achieve business goals through engineering best practices.
- Actively recruit, onboard, and train new engineers at Zapier. This might involve tweaking the skills portions of interviews, or writing better documentation.
- As part of our All Hands Support initiative, help customers have the best experience with Zapier as possible.