In this role you'll help direct the Notarize transactional team on a broad range of outbound (customer-facing) licensing matters, with a focus on enterprise clients for on-demand services, managed services, and professional services, with some exposure to in-bound service contracts.
You'll create unified internal processes, documents, and policies to be utilized by the Notarize Transactional Team in partnership with Notarize Sales and Customer Service Teams for all verticals including enterprise, partnerships, SMB and high velocity.
This is a great opportunity to make your mark with a fast-growing fintech startup, with high visibility across the senior leadership team as you build and formalize foundational best practices that will shape the commercial transactional vertical at Notarize.
At Notarize, we’re pulling the future closer. As the first company to complete a legal online notarization, online mortgage closing, online will, online auto sales, and countless other critical transactions, we’re proud of our role in bringing industries into the digital age.
Our business has grown exponentially (over 600%) in the past year, as companies in a wide variety of industries look to us to help their customers get crucial legal transactions processed remotely. We’ve been dealing with a number of challenging (but interesting!) scalability issues, as more and more global enterprise companies look to Notarize to help them speed up business processes and provide better customer service in a new, fully-remote world. We’re building the team that will operate a critical platform company in tomorrow’s economy. Come join us!
What you’ll do as Senior Commercial Counsel at Notarize:
- Develop a deep and expert-level understanding of the company’s products, services and business model
- Negotiate a variety of software, technology and commercial contracts, including enterprise software license agreements, partner agreements, and other in-bound and out-bound contracts as needed
- Oversee one or more attorneys and/or other team members
- Review and revise, create and maintain existing or new form agreements, including MSAs, order forms, partnership agreements and, develop and maintain negotiation playbooks
- Assist with other legal operations, including adoption of new CLM software selected by Notarize
- Work in conjunction with senior sales leaders and other senior leaders at Notarize to provide timely and practical legal advice to the company’s business leaders, including proactively identifying recurring issues
- Develop strong partnerships across the company, from the senior leadership team to individual contributors, to achieve successful business outcomes.
- Deliver training and help educate internal business partners
What we’re looking for:
- A JD from an accredited law school, and licensed to practice in the state where you are practicing
- 10-15 years’ experience in commercial contract negotiations, with at least 8 years in the area of enterprise software & SaaS licensing, and 2+ years managing other legal professionals
- Extensive experience with technology agreements, particularly hosted services/SAAS agreements
- Strong project management skills, with attention to detail and an excellent communicator
- A willingness to help out to do whatever needs to be done in a manner that is enthusiastic, proactive, and resourceful- the words “that is not my job” are not in this candidates vocabulary.
- Prior in-house experience with an enterprise tech company a plus, particularly where the clientele was heavily regulated or in the Fortune 200
Some of our benefits:
- Competitive salaries & equity
- Heavily subsidized medical, dental, and vision
- 401k with 4% company match
- Unlimited PTO & flexible work schedules
- Paid parental leave
- Annual budget for personal learning & development
- Small, cross-functional teams
- Strong emphasis on collaboration & mentorship
- Paid lunches (through Grubhub) & regular Lunch & Learn sessions
Our core values:
- Solve Problems That Matter: We serve some of the most important moments in people's lives. It's a responsibility we embrace by focusing obsessively on the issues that will have a quantifiable impact on our customers and our company growth.
- Yes Before No: We are optimistic about our ability to change lives by transforming outmoded processes. We believe our efforts can create a better future, and it is our attitude that will allow us to pull that future closer.
- Start With Why: We don't presume to understand the intentions of the people around us, whether coworkers or customers. We ask honest questions and listen to feedback in order to gain insight, build trust, and create memorable experiences.
- Stamp Together: We create a strong team and a welcoming workplace by valuing diverse perspectives. Every role in our organization is supported and valued equally, without regard to location or background.
Notarize is committed to building an inclusive environment for people of all backgrounds and everyone is encouraged to apply. We are an equal opportunity employer and do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status. We'd love to hear from you.