We're looking for an experienced Data Warehouse Engineer to join the Data Insights team at Zapier. Interested in helping grow a product that helps the world automate their work so they can get back to living? Then read on…
We know applying for and taking on a new job at any company requires a leap of faith. We want you to feel comfortable and excited to apply at Zapier. To help share a bit more about life at Zapier, here are a few resources in addition to the job description that can give you an inside look at what life is like at Zapier. We hope you'll take the leap and apply.
Zapier is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace dedicated to pursuing and hiring a diverse workforce.
You are a skilled written communicator. Zapier is a 100% remote team and writing is our primary means of communication. You can communicate about technical topics without unnecessary jargon. You translate unfamiliar data modeling concepts into approachable ones to team mates and stakeholders with less experience working with data.
You have experience in SQL. You’ve used written complex SQL queries that join across data from multiple systems, matching them up even when there was not a straightforward way to join the tables. You've designed tables with an eye towards ease of use, high performance and with focus on the consumer of the data. You've documented schemas and created data dictionaries.
You appreciate our team’s values of eagerness to collaborate with diverse teammates from any function of the organization or with any level of data knowledge, iterating over your deliverables, and being curious.
You strive to learn about business and product goals so you can design data models that empower analysis and reporting. You value partnering with your Data Science colleagues to ensure your efforts align with data objectives.
You have experience with data modeling: you understand data warehouse modeling and have a nuanced appreciation for when and where traditional approaches work and when they don’t. You have experience developing ETL pipelines to support business data needs.
You understand that the perfect is the enemy of the good, and default to action by shipping MVP code and iterating as needed to get towards better solutions.
Things You Might Do
- Develop ETL/ELT pipelines to ingest and transform data from upstream databases and APIs into a data warehouse. Our stack includes AWS Redshift, Matillion ETL, Astronomer/Airflow, Kafka, NiFi and custom Python. Knowledge of dbt is a plus.
- Data modeling, including designing and expanding slowly changing dimension and fact tables.
- Work with product teams and help them surface interesting data back in the product for our users and partners to see.
- Influence design of our product’s data model.
- As a part of Zapier's all-hands philosophy, help customers via support (or other mechanisms) to ensure they have the best experience possible.
About Data Insights at Zapier
Data Insights exists to champion evidence-based decision making at Zapier through scalable, discoverable and impactful data insights. We are a collaborative team of Data Scientists and Data Warehouse Engineers influencing Zapier to deliver the best possible experience to users, customers and partners.
On the Data Science side, our responsibilities include proactive and request-driven analysis; ideation, design and analysis of experiments; quantitative research (i.e. data mining & machine learning); metrics definition, reporting and goal setting for teams; insights discovery (i.e. hosting a searchable repository); instrumentation (i.e. event design); and administering data literacy and data self-serve platforms (we use Looker) to Zapier.
On the Data Warehouse Engineering side, our responsibilities include building scalable data models and ELT / ETL pipelines, insights tooling (i.e. developing tools to accelerate or improve the quality of analysis / data structures); work with our stakeholders to design data that feeds back into Zapier products; and influencing the data architecture of product teams.
We collaborate with engineering teams in our partner org, Data Operations, which provide core data infrastructure, data governance and tools for scaling machine learning models.
Curious about our stack? We use AWS Redshift (and the related AWS products AWS Glue, Redshift Spectrum, AWS S3), Looker, Airflow, Matillion ETL, Kafka, Python, NiFi and dbt.
Zapier helps people across the world automate the boring and tedious parts of their job. We do that by helping everyone connect the web applications they already use and love.
We believe that there are jobs a computer is best at doing and that there are jobs a human is best at doing. We want to empower businesses to create processes and systems that let computers do what they are best at doing and let humans do what they are best at doing. We believe that with the right tools, you can have big impact with less hassle. We believe in small teams. Small teams are fast and nimble. Small teams mean less bureaucracy and less management and more getting things done.
We believe in a safe, welcoming, and inclusive environment. All teammates at Zapier agree to a code of conduct
The Whole Package
Zapier is a 100% remote company. Our distributed company lets us work with the best people. You don't have to be located in the USA either. Some team members live in the United Kingdom, Thailand, India, Nigeria, Taiwan, Guatemala, New Zealand, Australia, and more! You just need the skills and drive to succeed in this role and the ability to work from anywhere.
- Competitive salary (we pay based on the norms of your country)
- Great healthcare + dental + vision coverage*
- Retirement plan with 4% company match*
- 2-3 annual company retreats to awesome places
- 14 weeks paid leave for new parents of biological or adopted children
- Pick your own equipment. We'll set you up with whatever Apple laptop + monitor combo you want plus any software you need.
- Unlimited vacation policy. Plus we require you to take at least 2 weeks off each year. We see most employees take 4-5 weeks off per year. This isn't a vague policy where unlimited vacation means no vacation.
- Travel of 5% - 10% for company retreats which rotate to various cities throughout North America. We will resume retreats when it’s safe to travel again. Retreats typically take place twice a year as a company, once a year as a team. All expenses paid (flights, meals, transportation, etc.).
- Work with awesome companies around the world. We partner with great software companies all over the world and you'll constantly get to interact with people from these great companies
*While we take care of our international folks as best we can, currently, healthcare and retirement plans are only available to US, Canadian-, and UK-based employees.
How To Apply
We have a non-standard application process. To jump-start the process we ask a few questions we normally would ask at the start of an interview. This helps speed up the process and lets us get to know you a bit better right out of the gate.
After you apply, you are going to hear back from us, even if we don't seem like a good fit. In fact, throughout the process, we strive to make sure you never go more than seven days without hearing from us.
Zapier is an equal opportunity employer. We're excited to work with talented and empathetic people no matter their race, color, gender, sexual orientation, religion, national origin, physical or mental disability, or age. Our code of conduct provides a beacon for the kind of company we strive to be, and we celebrate our differences because those differences are what allow us to make a product that serves a global user base.