Back To All Remote Jobs View All Data Science Jobs
Data Scientist - (Toptal)
Toptal Full Time Data Science Remote-Europe Remote-South & Central America
Remote Job Description
Toptal is a global network of top talent in business, design, and technology that enables companies to scale their teams, on-demand. With $200+ million in annual revenue and over 40% year-over-year growth, Toptal is the largest fully distributed workforce in the world.
We take the best elements of virtual teams and combine them with a support structure that encourages innovation, social interaction, and fun (see this video from The Huffington Post). We see no borders, move at a fast pace, and are never afraid to break the mold.
Here at Toptal, we always rely on data to guide all of our initiatives. This data helps to mold both our long-term strategy and our day-to-day operations. As a Data Scientist on our Analytics Team, you will be working with our cross-functional team to model complex problems, discover actionable business insights, and identify high-impact opportunities. You will be part of a high-energy, fast-paced team responsible for supporting initiatives and operations across the company.
We have the freedom to choose the best tool for the job. That’s why our infrastructure is in Google Cloud Platform, for research we use both Python and R, and our ETL pipelines and production models are in Python and Scala.
The ultimate goal is to solve real business problems. Our team works on problems that profoundly affect the operation of our business. We address these problems by using predictive models, controlling and optimizing the client flow, and other very open-ended questions. For example, our stake-holders may ask if it is feasible to pursue a particular business direction and, if so, what are the implications on business processes and the costs of moving to that solution.
This is a remote position that can be done from anywhere. Due to the remote nature of this role, we are unable to provide visa sponsorship. Resumes and communication must be submitted in English.
- Use statistical, algorithmic, data mining, and visualization techniques to model complex problems, find opportunities, discover solutions, and deliver actionable business insights.
- Own your projects and use this autonomy to find creative and innovative ways of solving problems and delivering solutions.
- Handle both parts of the Research & Development process, including clean, rigorous implementations of devised models inside our Analytics system.
- Be persistent, focused, and well-adapted when it comes to finishing your work. At Toptal, we always drive research from start to finish - we don’t get distracted; we don’t leave anything unfinished.
- Communicate data-driven insights and recommendations to key stakeholders.
- Be in constant communication with team members and other meaningful parties and convey results efficiently and clearly via Slack.
In the first week, expect to:
- Meet the entire Data Science team.
- Get familiar with our best practices guidelines.
- Get access to all our services.
In the first month, expect to:
- Set up your working environment.
- Learn our data sources and get familiar with our data warehouse.
- Meet our friends from the Data Engineering team.
In the first three months, expect to:
- Start reviewing your colleagues’ work.
- Meet our stakeholders and start your first ad-hoc research.
- Get familiar with our Machine Learning implementations.
- Be included in our brainstorming sessions in different areas of Data Science.
In the first six months, expect to:
- Deliver first ah-hoc analysis to our stakeholders.
- Start your first Machine Learning initiative.
- Start contributing to our data warehouse.
In the first year, expect to:
- Meet the team in person during our onsite meeting.
- Deliver your first Machine Learning model to production.
- A strong background in advanced mathematics, in particular in probability theory and statistics, data mining, and machine learning.
- You must be able to think critically, to look at the big picture and spot what is missing, taking advantage of it to propose improvements and deliver business insights.
- 4+ years of professional experience in data science, doing exploratory data analysis, testing hypotheses, and building predictive models.Ability to quickly and accurately understand complex new concepts.
- Proficiency in a programming language of your own choice (R, Python, Matlab, etc.), and previous experience efficiently conducting research and creating ad hoc reports.
- An excellent ability to learn new programming languages quickly and optimally.
- Big pluses include significant experience managing or shipping out a product, leading a team, and working on open source projects.
- Working experience with Airflow and Dimensional Modeling is a plus.
- Be passionate about collaborating daily with your team and other groups while working via a distributed model.
- Be eager to help your teammates, share your knowledge with them, and learn from them.
- Be open to receiving constructive feedback.
- You must be a premier individual contributor to thrive at Toptal. You will not be here to tell other people what to do.