This position is essential in the expansion of both product and business. We are highly data driven, whether that be understanding natural language, deriving insights from financial data, or determining which financial product is best suited to a user. We have interesting problems to solve on an ever-increasing scale
As a Lead Data Scientist at Cleo you will work on a multitude of customer and company challenges to create, design and deploy machine learning and data products into production. These challenges can span from understanding our customers using NLP to building models and using data to optimise our marketing. Cleo has both a wealth of data and diverse product sets that mean there are always areas to explore and deliver value.
You will be managing, mentoring and coaching a group of data scientists that work across Cleo. People management and mentoring is something you will be passionate about, working with Data Scientists on how they can develop and grow in their career. You will also be an excellent individual contributor with the ability to form and simplify complex problems, solving them using machine learning when necessary.
As Cleo grows rapidly towards more worldwide users, the problems we’re trying to solve get more complex. You will take the lead on how we develop and adopt best practices on how Cleo deploys, documents and manages our data science products.
We have a flat and open engineering culture where data and evidence beats opinion and hierarchy. We passionately believe in forming autonomous, cross functional teams who are empowered to deliver our ambitious strategy. You’ll work alongside our engineering team to help us collect, transform, store, and serve data across the company.
Cleo was created to fight for the world's financial health.
Already, she’s helped 3 million people improve their relationship with money through simplicity and a sense of humour.
Cleo’s not a bank though. She’s an interface for the 99% – an AI assistant defining a new category, one that goes beyond saving up to actually changing how we feel about our finances.
Through chat, Cleo hits you with ridiculously personal insights into your spending, while suggesting personalised financial products that increase your ability to save. But really, it’s our tone of voice that sets us apart.
We’re a product for the next generation. That means meeting our users where they are and building the type of relationship they expect. It also means dropping the BS.
Some of the things you'll get involved with:
- Leading on how we think about solving problems with data for our customers, delivering the most value as fast as possible
- Actively building and productionising classifiers - with no dependencies on engineering teams
- Building out an amazing process and framework for us to develop data products so we can amplify collaboration, knowledge sharing and best practice across the data teams
- Maximising learning across data science so we are not only up to date with how we solve customer problems using the best approaches but the team are developing and progressing together
- Line managing a group of data scientists and working with them on both career development and day-to-day advice and mentorship.
- Evangelising the Cleo data brand inside and outside of Cleo
What are we looking for? Someone with...
- 5+ years of data science experience including line managing data scientists
- Proven experience working in a data science role developing products that deliver tangible business and customer impact
- A passion for developing a team and individuals on how they work, progress in their careers and solve problems together.
- Strong experience with deploying data science products into production
- Proven track record of developing commercial data science projects that deliver value to both customers and the business
- Ability to write production quality code in Python
- Experience with engineering best practice applied to data science. CI/CD, Dockerization, testing
- A strong ability to communicate findings to non-technical stakeholders in a concise and engaging manner
- Experience with ETL tools such as Stitch, AWS Glue, Google Dataflow, or Apache Spark
- Commercial experience working AWS technologies such as EC2, S3, EMR and Redshift
- A self-starting learner, confident teaching yourself to do things you have never done before
- Bias for action. You see a problem, you fix a problem. You get buy-in for your solutions and keep tickets moving. We’re always looking for ways to ship at pace.
What do you get for all your hard work?
Cleo is an excellent place to work:
- An above market compensation package (base + equity). We're prepared to pay for the very best.
- We’ll pay for you to attend conferences and continuous-learning events
- Work at one of the fastest growing tech startups anywhere in the world. We recently closed a really successful Series A with Balderton who join a formidable investor base including the people behind Skype, Transferwise, Zoopla, Lovefilm, Climate corporation, SongKick and others.
- The team is exceptional. You'll get to work with brilliantly forward-thinking and dedicated individuals every day.
- Our mission is standout. We want to radically improve everyone’s relationship with money. We're not maximising the time consumers spend in a feed, getting fast food delivered, or building an incrementally better bank. We're changing an industry in a visceral way, which you get to see every day in our customer feedback
We are committed to making Cleo a more diverse and inclusive workplace. We are making continuous changes in order to make sure that all voices, especially those of minorities are heard, supported and celebrated. Our work doesn't stop at hiring, and we are providing every employee with training, support and development throughout their Cleo career, alongside training specific to inclusivity.