As a Controller, you will be a key contributor and leader for the financial operations of our rapidly growing company. You will be responsible for providing technical accounting expertise, improvement of financial processes, and development of a high-performing accounting team.
You must be excited to work in a fast-paced and challenging environment and own critical decision-making responsibilities to build the team and someone who can be a player-coach, as needed -- adept at manipulating, analyzing, and auditing large volumes of data, but also a skilled people manager. The position requires strong financial, accounting, and management skills, a strong business sense, and the ability to understand the big picture while being detail-oriented. You will report to the CFO and manage current, and hire future, members of the accounting and tax teams.
BetterUp is a mobile-based coaching platform that brings personalized professional coaching to employees at all levels. We help managers lead better, teams perform better, and employees thrive personally and inspire professionally. Our mission is to help professionals everywhere pursue their lives with greater clarity, purpose, and passion. Our product was developed by a team of leading behavioral scientists, researchers, and technologists to bring evidence-based learning to professionals everywhere. We’re already transforming the way companies approach talent development at high-performing organizations like Genentech, Mars, LinkedIn, and Workday. Let’s build together!
- Manages the daily accounting operations to include revenue recognition, accounts payable, accounts receivable, fixed assets, payroll, and operational cash management.
- Ensure consistent implementation of corporate accounting principles and procedures in full compliance with US GAAP.
- Own the financial close process and all associated processes and reporting to deliver accurate and timely results to the organization to facilitate critical decision-making.
- Responsible for monthly financial close including detailed analysis and reconciliation of all general ledger accounts.
- Timely preparation of financial statements and supporting schedules. Build IPO-ready reporting processes for SEC reporting and Sarbanes- Oxley compliance.
- Creates, reviews, updates and enhances the Company’s accounting policies and procedures as well as monitoring their consistent application.
- Administration of the company system of internal controls and financial systems.
- Ensures compliance with all federal, state, and local corporate income, payroll, and other applicable taxes and licenses.
- Manages year-end financial audits and other financial compliance reviews as necessary.
- Primary liaison for Company’s insurance and audit relationships to ensure compliance with business, regulatory and reporting requirements.
- Works with the Director of FP&A to ensure coordination of timely publishing of metrics, forecasts, and budgets.
If you have some or all of the following please apply:
- CPA with BS/BA in Accounting/Finance, or a related field of study from an accredited college or university; MBA a plus.
- Minimum 12+ years of accounting experience preferably within the software/SaaS industry environment. Experience with ASC 605 and 606 is highly desirable.
- Working knowledge of ASC 606, ASC 718, FIN 48
- At least 3 years of accounting experience at a senior designation, leadership, or management level, preferably in a software or technology-based environment, including leadership experience.
- Expert knowledge of General Ledger, consolidations, month-end close process, and GAAP.
- Strong, analytical communication (verbal and written), project management, and business partnering skills.
- Ability to manage the deployment of new software/accounting systems.
- Big 4 CPA organizations experience a plus.
At BetterUp, we are committed to living out our mission every day and that starts with providing benefits that allow our employees to care for themselves, support their families, and give back to their community.
- Access to BetterUp coaching; one for you and one for a friend or family member
- A competitive compensation plan with opportunity for advancement
- Full coverage for medical, dental and vision insurance
- Employer Paid Life, AD&D, STD and LTD insurance
- Flexible paid time off
- Per year:
- Holiday charitable contribution of your choice on behalf of BetterUp
- 401(k) self contribution
BetterUp Inc. provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability, genetics, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status. In addition to federal law requirements, BetterUp Inc. complies with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation, and training.