← Back to all remote jobs
Marketing & Growth Lead - Knack
Remote Job Description
Hi, thanks for reading about our Head of Marketing opportunity! We're glad you're here.
We're Knack, a no-code productivity platform that’s redefining how work gets done. Knack is used by thousands of customers — from non-profits to the world’s biggest organizations — to run processes, departments, and even entire companies.
Over the past 5 years we've done the hard work of building a great team, product, and culture. Now we're ready to tell our story to the world and take Knack’s impact to the next level. We need an ambitious marketer to help take us there.
You’ll be responsible for crafting our messaging and forming our overall marketing strategy, and leading the way on execution. You’ll be supported directly by the CEO and a team of advisors, with room to build a team or outsource.
This is a 100% remote role, so self-motivation and independence is a must. You'll be given the autonomy to define how to do your best work, and will help define the big picture goals to work towards.
About the role and the work
Knack has primarily been a no-code online database product, where our customers move spreadsheets into Knack and then build business apps to make their data useful.
It turns out that customers that get the most value from Knack are the ones using it for much more than an online database—they are using Knack to automate core business processes and workflows.
The first question of the overall marketing strategy will be redefining our messaging and category to optimize around this unique value proposition. You’ll have ample research and data to pull from, including customer surveys, jobs to be done analysis, and multiple case studies and video testimonials.
Along with this strategic work, you’ll be responsible for tactical execution. You’ll start as a marketing team of one, but you’ll have the autonomy to build a team or find the right partners. Knack has a culture of craftsmanship, and we favor strong day-to-day skills that can help execute on marketing plans. You’ll be supported by the CEO and a dedicated advisory team.
This work will include the standard SaaS marketing playbook like analytics, inbound, SEO, content, and social, along with unique opportunities like growing an emerging economy of Knack partners and consultants who use Knack to help businesses automate their processes in the cloud.
This role includes driving the marketing culture at Knack. You’ll be expected to detail marketing updates and insights for the whole company, align marketing with the other teams at Knack, and set up data-driven reporting for tracking and progress.
You’ve done this work before. And you want to do it again, except even better this time, for an opportunity that can get the most out of your experience and skill set. You’ve seen enough to know what works and what doesn’t.
You can go deep on strategy. You can see the big picture and integrate marketing into broader company dynamics. You can use thought experiments and hypotheticals to consider the pros and cons of different long-term proposals.
You relish a challenge. This work will be incredibly challenging, and that excites you. It’s a big, evolving space with complex products and increasing competition. The potential solution space for consideration is vast. Knack is a bootstrapped company where spend matters.
You seek feedback. You are prepared to defend your ideas, because you know that subjecting them to feedback is how your best work will emerge.
You still like to get your hands dirty. You’re not so far removed from the day-to-day work that you can’t help make your ideas happen. You invest in your craft, always learning and understanding the marketing landscape.
You are a master of execution. You have a proven system for project management and tactical execution. You’re an excellent writer and can clearly communicate your vision to the broader team. You’re comfortable defining KPIs and being accountable to them. You’re transparent with your work and always open to collaboration.
You take big swings. You’re creative and capable of completely ignoring accepted wisdom when the right opportunity arises. You’re comfortable considering moonshots, but you back this up with experiments and data to validate and de-risk.
You are humble but opinionated. You don’t care where the best ideas come from as long as those are the ideas we focus on. You’ll take a stand yet commit even when you disagree. You’re honest about your strengths and weaknesses.
You are hungry for meaningful work, and space to do it. Knack is a complex product in a complex space and the work is extremely challenging - but also deeply rewarding. Knack makes a major impact in the work of thousands of companies and organizations.
Knack is a no-code platform that makes it easy for anyone to build applications and workflows to do amazing things with their data.
Knack makes it easy for anyone to build applications and workflows to make their data useful. Our customers use Knack to run their processes, departments, or even their entire companies.
So how are we different?
- We’re bootstrapped: we’ve had to build something our customers actually pay for. This changes how you do things.
- We’re 100% remote: and have been from the beginning. Every decision we’ve made has been based around optimizing our remote operations.
- We’re all a little weird: and we like it that way. We’re more than just chat avatars; we’ve all gotten to know each other, have grown together, and love working with each other.
- We enjoy the journey: we’re in this for the long haul. We’re not chasing an exit or the next round of funding. We’re building something we’re proud of and want to keep improving on.
Benefits & Perks
The biggest benefit is our awesome team of Knacksters. We’re a funny, humble, talented team of delightful human beings that above all enjoy working with each other, growing with each other, and supporting each other.
These benefits aren't that bad either:
- Define your work: find the location, environment, and schedule that is best for your life and work. It’s not about separation, it’s about optimization. Our only rule is an overlap zone of 11am to 4pm EST.
- Unlimited Paid Vacation: take the time you need to stay motivated, charged, and balanced. You’ll get required days off for birthdays and knackiversaries.
- Paid Corporate Retreats: we get together twice a year at amazing locations to do normal human being things in person. We pay for your flight, lodging, and meals.
- HealthCare: we offer health, vision, and dental, covering 75% of the premium for you and your dependents (spouse + children).
- Equal opportunity: we push everyone to maximize their impact on our product and company—we strongly value all of our people, regardless of title or seniority.
- Family support: we offer a generous paid family leave to welcome any new additions to your family.
- Tech: we provide a top-of-the-line PC or MacBook
We are also passionate about learning and professional development. We provide multiple learning opportunities and encourage each other to continuously learn and grow:
- Long term growth and learning plans, with regular check-ins to help you level up on what's important to you.
- Have executive-level visibility into how the company is run and performing, including revenue.
- Use an annual allowance to stay on top of your game with training, classes, books, and workshops.
- Direct and trasnparent access to the CEO who’ll fast-track your on-boarding and be a constant sounding-board.
- Attend industry conferences that are meaningful to you.
We believe that different perspectives and backgrounds are what makes a company flourish. Knack welcomes all applicants regardless of race, gender, orientation, sexual identity, economic class, ability, disability, age, religious beliefs or disbeliefs, or status. We’re proud to be an inclusive company with values grounded in equality and ethics, where we embrace diversity.
How To Apply
Are you currently so excited to apply that you can barely type? Then we want to hear from you! You can apply for this position by filling out the form below.
We value great writers, so take your time with the application. Keep in mind that we do not equate length with substance, so please stay concise. Stock answers won’t do – tell us why you want this job, not just any job.
We review applications in batches, so don't worry if you don't hear from us right away. Qualified candidates will move on to video interviews to discuss the position in detail, meet the team, and talk through the fit. We're also big believers in paid trials whenever logistically possible.
Apply for this job